45 Things That Make Being A Presbyterian College Blue Hose That Much Better

Somewhere in Clinton, South Carolina dreaming of blue skies and Blue Hose.

825
Anastasia Patterson

It's not everyday that you meet someone who has PC Blue Pride, but when you do I promise you that they're going to make a lasting impression. A little over two years ago when I was applying to colleges, Presbyterian College stole my heart. Presbyterian College (PC) is a small private liberal arts institution that was founded in 1880. It is located on 240 incredibly breathtaking acres in Clinton, SC where it is home to a little over a thousand students. Maybe you came here because you saw "Blue Hose" and you were curious. Maybe you came here because you bleed garnet and blue. Maybe you came here to find out more about Presbyterian College. Regardless of why you came here, I'm glad you came...

Here's just a few things that I think make being at Presbyterian College that much better (in no particular order).

1. Dum Vivimus Servimus.

Our motto, Dum Vivimus Servimus, is Latin for "While We Live, We Serve." It's not just something we say here, it is truly a motto we live out. From the very moment you step onto PC's campus you can see every aspect of service in its students.

2.Bluehose

The Blue Hose were previously known as the "Blue Stockings." This is because of the hose (socks) that used to be worn by the various sports teams on campus. It makes for a great conversation, too, when meeting people who have never heard of PC. It is also not uncommon to hear people chanting, "BLUE... HOSE" or "SCO' HOSE" on any given day in Clinton. It truly is hard to hide your Blue Hose Pride!

3. Ms. Yolanda, Springs, and the Greenville Dining Hall.

Ms. Yolanda, also known as Ms. PC, YOYO, or everyone's Mom away from home is the highlight of most days at PC! Not only will Ms. Yolanda never greet you without a smile, she will never forget your name, and she will always make sure you swipe your meal card at Greenville Dining Hall! Springs is about to be completely different next semester and there's going to be a Starbs AND a Moe's so really no complaints there! There is also a gym in Springs but I'm not sure how much I'll be living there next year because, like I said before... MOE'S!

4. Forming personal relationships.

Not only in your four years at PC will you form relationships with other students, the faculty, the staff, the President, and alumni, but you will more than likely form relationships with the people at Jitters, Steamers, Whiteford's, HOP, Wilson's, Dempseys', Waffle House, the BP, Trotter's, Bojangles', Yo' Cup, and Fatz. By Sophomore year you will then be forming relationships with people at the Clinton YMCA. If you are lucky you will even make a good friend from Newberry, Laurens, Union, or Clinton and have a good home cooked meal every once in a while! The people at PC aren't just your friends at school, they are the same people who are your friends when you graduate. These are your friends for life.

5. Jesus is truly at the center.

Not just because PC is a religiously affiliated school, but because the faculty, staff and students really want you to be the best version of themselves. Everyone is strongly encouraged on their daily walks with God. There are so many opportunities for fellowship, worship, prayer, pastoral care, and many of your other spiritual needs!

6. Division I sports.

PC is a member of the Big South Conference.

7. Cardio

You get in your car, turn on the radio, and you do the Clinton 500 because nothing beats "cardio" like a good drive around Laurens County. (Maybe you will even hear some Sam Hunt - not even Sam Hunt can hide his PC BLUE PRIDE!) On Saturdays in the fall when it isn't game day in Clinton, you're just a quick drive away from being part of the Sandstorm, listening to the song that shakes the Southland, or teeing it up between The Hedges. Haunted Houses, the lake, and the mountains aren't that far either. Then in the spring you can head to The Carolina Cup, Big Buck, The Masters, or even catch a Braves game!

8. The PC Choir's Annual Christmas Show- PC Choir Spring Tour

The PC Choir has a phenomenal Christmas Show every year and people come from all around the nation just to see! In the spring, the Choir goes on tour to different places each year! We're even touring in Europe next spring!

9. Rigorous academics

PC challenges its students to excel both inside and outside of the classroom. The school offers a wide range of majors and minors to choose from!

10. All students participate in an internship, a "Maymester," research project, or study abroad program.

There are different options based on Majors and Minors.

11. The Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy.

Located less than 2 miles away from PC!

12. Campus services

If you go to PC you always refer to Campus Police as "Campo." You know Officer Baker like you know your class schedule. You also quickly learn how to fill out a Maintenance Request!

13. Commencement and Baccalaureate

You get tears in your eyes just now by just thinking about it.

14. Dum Vivimus Servimus... again because it's just that important.

Many students volunteer at a number of places such as The Laurens County Humane Society, The Thornwell Home for Children, and Langston Place. While some will enter one or more of the many service organizations PC has to offer.

15. Almost every good things is closed by 3 p.m. in town.

In Clinton, it is a good thing to know that if it is really good and you're craving it that the chances are it might be closed. Just like Chick-fil-A on Sunday, everything in this small, southern town shuts down pretty early. However, Javier and the good men at R&R usually leave the lights on!

16. Everyon loves President Bob Staton and his wife, Phyllis!

EVERYONE!!!

17. Hoseville

Nothing beats Hoseville on game day! Just grab a seat on a sofa, truck bed, or even the Firetruck and you have the best seat in the house. With a view that overlooks the stadium and you can see the whole football game while socializing with your friends, taking pictures, and grabbing a bite to eat!

18. CYRUS

The Largest Bronze Statue of a Scotsman in the entire world at the entrance of Bailey Memorial Stadium!

19. The hashtags

#TARTANUP, #CUETHEBAGPIPES, #SCOHOSE, #PCFORSC, #PCVACAY, #WHILEWELIVEWESERVE, #PRESBYTERIANCOLLEGE, #HOSEONTOP, #BEABLUEHOSE, #ONONPC, #GREATPRESBYTERIANHAILTOTHEE, #WEAREPC, #PC

Chances are you have used at least one of these hashtags before if not all of them!

20. The Great Neville Hall

You've either had class there, taken a picture there, or reflected on your time at PC on the steps of Neville.

21. @presby.edu

The end of your email, that you always have to go into deep conversation with the cashier about in department stores!

22. Voted the second greatest lifetime return investment in South Carolina.

No but really, look it up.

23. Intramurals

Everyone tells you that it really is not all that serious, but then you get there and you quickly realize it is quite possibly one of the most serious sporting events of your college career. You have either played in it, cheered for it, or heard about it from someone. Intramural sports are a highlight of a lot of great memories for many PC students and graduates!

24. The American Legion Auxillary Palmetto Girls State.

"A Week That Changes A Lifetime," hosted for over 600 girls every year for a week over the summer at PC.

25. You sing the fight song in your sleep.

26. The Presbyterian College sign.

You have at least one picture on it (or a hundred) or standing next to it by the time you graduate. You also get this really joyful feeling every time you pass by it.

27. Sunshine City, Magnolia and Tapestry.

Chances are you have spent at least $50 at one or all of them at some point during the semester!

28. Justin Bethel

If you never met him you still know he was from Sumter, South Carolina, he graduated from PC, and that he is #28 cornerback for the Arizona Cardinals.

29. Shuckin' and Shaggin'

One of PCs greatest traditions on the first weekend of school! Also the first time you have seen many of your friends since last year and a time to get to know some new friends!

30. Fraternity life

PC is home to Sigma Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, Alpha Sigma Phi, Pi Kappa Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, and Kappa Alpha Order.

31. ROTC

Students learn the skills to become an officer of the U.S. Army and a civilian leader.

32. "Everybody knows everybody, everybody calls you a friend."-Tracy Byrd

Tracy Byrd said it best! At PC we aren't just neighbors, we are friends, and we are more than that--we are a community, a family!

33. The beautiful campus.

34. Tropic Delite slushies

It's right next to H&R Block and it will change your life.

35. Leah Lawson

PC graduate, Miss South Carolina USA 2016, American Idol Season XIV, Miss America Top 15 (2016).

36. Scotty The Scotsman

37. Spring Fling

Another major highlight of your time here at PC! It's SO much fun!

38. HOMECOMING

One of the only weekends where there is a lot of traffic in Clinton and you will want to leave a little earlier than normal if you plan on going off campus. However, it is one of the BEST weekends you will ever have.

39. Sorority life

PC is home to Alpha Delta Pi, Sigma Sigma Sigma, and Zeta Tau Alpha!

40. The Eve of Assessment day.

That feeling is unlike any other.

41. Blue Pride Friday!

The best day of the week, Friday. The whole campus dresses out in their best BLUE pride.

42. Clubs and other organizations.

There are sooooooo many to get involved in. To name a few the PresbyPals, Student Activities Board, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Campus Outreach, and the Miscellaneous Games Club are some to get involved in!

43. 80's Party!

Another really fun event PC holds every year. It is AWESOME.

44. Giving back

Students are always giving back to the community whether if it is supporting the local sports teams, assisting at Thornwell, Bike-A-Thons, participating in the local parades, the Benjamin E. Mays Preservation Site, bake sales, spreading awareness, and everything in between, PC students are always giving back.

45. IT'S GREAT TO BE A BLUE HOSE

If you still aren't convinced, you should come tour our beautiful campus soon.

And always remember, SCO' HOSE.