4 Tips To Help You Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution

It's not too early to start thinking about it.

7
Gretchen Rubin

It may seem early to be thinking about resolutions, but now may be the best time to prepare yourself for them. Last December, I decided to give up coffee. I gave up drinking soda when I was 15-years-old and thought it was time to quit coffee before I was an official addict. Although it hasn’t been completely easy, giving myself time to say goodbye to coffee helped. I’ve stuck to my New Year’s resolution with these four useful tips.

1. Take Time To Think About An Important Goal

When asked about resolutions, many people automatically mention: weight, happiness, success, love, etc. But resolutions and goals should be tailored to each person. Everyone is different in various aspects. Your resolution should reflect you as a person and it should be important to you because if it’s not, you most likely won’t stick to it.

2. Be Aware Of Your Actions

It’s simple to tell your family and friends your resolution(s) but it’s easier said than done. The first few days after making any commitment, be aware of how you behave. People are accustomed to routines. It’s easy to find yourself acting in a certain way because your brain automatically does it. But in order to stick to your goals, pay close attention to yourself.

On the first day after quitting coffee, I habitually made myself coffee but I caught myself and didn’t drink it. I was surprised at myself but I quickly broke that habit.

3. Don’t Be Afraid To Remind Yourself

If you think you’re about to break, remind yourself why you made the resolution in the first place. You could be in the heat of the moment and forget about your goal, but it won’t feel great afterwards when you’ve processed what you’ve done. Instead of trying to jump back on the bandwagon, constantly remind yourself why you made your resolution and the importance of it in the long run.

4. Find An Alternative

Whether you’re eating healthier, exercising more or taking better care of your mental health, finding alternatives is helpful. You can find a healthier version of your favorite snack. You can choose to take up an old sport you used to love or discover a new hobby. You can also begin talking positively about others to help combat negative thoughts. Whatever your resolution may be, there is always an alternative that can make the transition easier.