4 Things To Do If You're Single And Waiting For Marriage

A few tips for ladies navigating the single life

50
CreateHerStock

There was a time that I didn't wait well.

Before I got married, I had the craziest idea that every random that was interested in me, wanted to make me his wife. Never mind their character, attention meant I was going to get a ring. Praise Jesus THAT didn't happen. After my last relationship ended, I made the decision to embrace being single all the way. I was perfectly fine with not being in another relationship for a while. I wanted to experience God in a more intimate way before I got married and I'm so glad I made that choice.

Settling down with God before a man asks you to settle down with him is the best decision a single woman can make.

If you are single and waiting, here are a few things that may help:

1. Stop waiting

I don't say this to encourage anyone to chase after any man. But what I am saying is we have to get up in our hearts and press after Jesus. Listen to him and allow Him to show you what to pursue. Since God tells us in Proverbs 18:22, "He that finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord," this means we as women are not supposed to be finding anybody. When you redirect your energy from, "finding a man," and dedicate energy to finding your purpose in Christ, you will be so much more productive and prepared when your husband does find you. Staying in step with God, rather than the culture of the world will ensure we are in position for the things we desire Him to bring into our lives.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." -Matthew 6:33

2. Explore your passion

God created you passionately, know that He has placed an intentional passion within you. With His leading, now is the time to save up and travel to the country you've always wanted to visit. Now is the time to start blogging, go road tripping with your girlfriends, start your business or even go back to school. You don't have to wait until you get married to start living life. Marriage just merges you and your man's life together. Your future husband will want you to be living a full life and not twiddling your thumbs when he finds you.

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." -Ephesians 2:10

3. Learn to love you

I got married when I was 26. What if I'd waited until he found me to know what it felt like to be loved? I would have been miserable and a hot mess. We have to learn how to love ourselves. All of our great and not so great parts. We can only love ourselves properly, when we allow Jesus to love us completely. In order to do that, we have to just stop. Stop and allow our hearts to rest, not allowing a competitive spirit to rule our decision making. Your whole squad could be getting married, but that shouldn't move you. Your story is your story. No one else's. Rest in Jesus and allow Him to heal you from scars you can't even see. Love Jesus and yourself the way God intended and you'll be surprised at how you love others and the man God has designed for you.

"...And you shall love the Lordyour God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall loveyour neighborasyourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” -Mark 12:30-31

4. Prepare for the season you've prayed for

About 4 years before I got married, a friend and I prayed for our future husbands every day for 30 days. We prayed for his character, his love for us, his stability, all sorts of things. I prayed these prayers but I wasn't thinking God was going to move on them so quickly. I didn't prepare in anticipation of what I asked for. Shortly after, Tyson came into my life. I was like a deer in headlights in my heart. The thing I'd asked Jesus for was coming to pass. However, I hadn't prepared my heart or my mind. God showed me right then and there that I have to know that I'm loved by Him. So loved that He pays attention to my heart and what I say. So even when I told Him, "I wasn't ready," God reassured me, "I'll get you ready." And that He did.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." -Jeremiah 29:11