4 Things I Learned From The 50 Yard Line On Friday Nights

The two D's.

14
Holly Haines

I was born to love the game of football. When you have the best NFL football team in the country on your side, you would understand that it's hard to not love football. When your state has a collegiate football team who goes to a bowl game every year, you would understand my admiration to watch every play happen. I was raised on watching the Green Bay Packers on Sunday Night Football, and the Wisconsin Badgers football on Saturday afternoon. So it's no surprise that one day I want to be back on the sideline as a sports broadcaster at NFL football games, reporting live. Yes, I said back on the sideline. Throughout high school, I had the opportunity to stand side by side with the star quarterback, fast as a whip running back, and sharp as a tack wide receivers as they prepared for the night ahead. I didn't play football because let's face it. I would be taken down and I wouldn't get up. There are four main things I learned from my time spent on the sideline

1. You don't always have to act tough

I've watched countless football players react in multiple different ways to injuries, bad plays, touchdowns, first downs, and the nerves that they feel when it's third down and you have 10 yards to go. I've watched our star freshman quarterback cry when he was taken down with a hit to the ribs. It breaks your heart, and you want to comfort them in any way possible. You don't always have to be strong when times get rough. It's okay to express your feelings because it hurts. Literally and figuratively. I know how it feels from my time serving on the football team to lose the state semi final game when you thought for sure you would be playing Thanksgiving in the state final game. I would be lying if I said on the three-hour car ride home that I didn't sob and beg God to let me relive that whole game one last time.

2. It's okay to rejoice in the happy moments, too

When you win a football game, when you witness a third down conversion that leads to a touchdown, when you FINALLY beat a state champion cross town rival on their home turf, when you beat an undefeated team on their home turf during the state quarter final game, and when you just had a really fun time during the game. It's okay to be excited about your life, similar to the joy you feel when you see your food coming in the restaurant. Or in this case, the rush you feel when you see an opposing player taken down less than a foot away from where you are standing, and they land right on your foot clutching the football. Yikes. That left a mark.

3. The two D's of football: dedication and determination

Like anything in life, you have to be dedicated and driven to succeed. Throughout six months of the year, June - November, I watched multiple players cycle throughout our program. Some succeeding more and others. I learned that this was absolutely necessary in order to succeed in whatever you do. Whether it be in your job, college, or anything else. And the players that weren't as successful as the others, lacked the determination in order to become better.

4. Football is your family

Throughout my four years of standing on the sideline of up to 50 football games, one state run, one conference championship, one district title, and other sought after accomplishments, this team became my family. I would cry for days after the last football game every year. But nothing compared to the time I spent with the coaches, players, and the other managers working hard to win each game. There would be blood, sweat, and tears and it's hard to not get close with people after those experiences together.

Now that I am heading to college, my time serving on my high school football team has come to an end. But I wish my team the best of luck this upcoming season, and I am always rooting for you no matter where I am. Because once an Eagle, ALWAYS an Eagle.