4 Things To Keep In Mind When Starting Your Fitness Journey

Because working out is both physically and mentally challenging.

378
Robor Fitness

Since I was young, I've always been part of a very active family. My brother and I both played sports, my mom spent some time working as a personal trainer, and my dad continues to exercise and coach basketball. Needless to say, fitness has always been something that just came natural to me. However, for a while I stopped going to the gym, and although my high metabolism at this age saved my image, I was by no means in shape. Recently I have been getting back into working out, and there are a few things I've had to keep reminding myself. These are just four of the things you should keep in mind throughout your own fitness journey.

1. Everyone has to start somewhere.

This is one of the things that I have always had to remind myself, because it is so easy to want to compare yourself to others. Of course I would love to just go outside and run six miles a day, but I'm not at that point yet. And when I go to the gym, I would love to pick up and lift as much as I used to, but I can't do that just yet. Fitness is a process. We don't get to just snap our fingers and have our bodies look the way we want them to. And everyone has to start somewhere. If you have to use a smaller amount of weight at the gym, or if you can only manage to run a mile at a time, do it. And don't be embarrassed. Those people around you who seem invincible and perfect, all started just where you are. Embrace it.

2. Numbers aren't everything.

Whether your goal is to lose weight, or to gain it, don't pay too much attention to the scale. Numbers aren't everything. Why? Because every person's body is different. Being 160 pounds at 5'5" is a lot different than being 160 pounds at 5'10". So don't pay too much attention to the number itself. It's about how the way you look in the mirror makes you feel, not about seeing a certain weight on the scale.

3. Rest days are important too.

This is a huge thing to keep in mind. I know when you have goals for how you want to look it's easy to want to go hard every single day. But that's not necessarily a good thing. Rest days are important because they allow time for your muscles and tissue to rebuild themselves. So take a break and relax every now and then.

4. Don't give up.

While rest days are important, don't get lazy. Don't give up. You're not always going to see fast and immediate results, but it is important that you keep up the hard work, and don't lose sight of the goals you have set. You might have a long journey ahead of you in order to reach those goals, but with enough heart and determination, you will get there.

While working out is a physical activity, you also have to have a certain mindset in order to be successful. Stay motivated. Stay disciplined. You've got this.