4 Simple Ways To Stay In The Know On Current Events

There are so many fast and easy ways to stay up-to-date on the latest news without giving up more than 10 minutes of your day. Here four of my favorites.

164

Recently, I've noticed that news stories are almost never positive and almost always make me want to crawl back into bed and stay there forever. Sometimes I have the urge to just tune it all out and keep up with the Kardashians instead. Ignorance is bliss, right? Wrong. Although news on what’s happening around the world can be depressing, disheartening, stressful, and scary, it is so important for young people to stay informed, especially with a presidential election not very far away. Luckily for us, we don’t have to read the paper every morning or watch the news every night to know what’s going on. There are so many faster, easier ways to stay up-to-date on the latest without giving up more than 10 minutes of your day. Here are some of my favorites:

TheSkimm

There is so much going on around the world that it would normally take hours just to absorb and understand it all. That’s where TheSkimm comes in. When you subscribe (for free!) to their daily email, TheSkimm provides a quick, at-a-glance, unbiased overview of the day’s top stories in language that’s easy to understand. They even throw in humor and pop culture references to make it a fun read. Bonus: There is a “Skimm Your Candidate” section in which presidential candidates are given the opportunity to explain their positions on various hot topic issues like ISIS, gun control, health care, and more.

Smartphone Alerts

If you have a smartphone, which I'm guessing you do, you have no excuse not to download a news app of your choice (CNN, Fox, etc.) to get their breaking news alerts. When something big happens, a message pops up on your screen to alert you of it. All you have to do is download an app and start impressing people with how in-the-know you are!

Buzzfeed News

Are you an avid Buzzfeed reader? Most people (including me!) are. Luckily for us, they have a daily email newsletter that reads like a Buzzfeed article (so, with pictures, GIFs) that outlines all the important things happening around the world. Like TheSkimm, it’s also free, so nothing is stopping you from subscribing!

Facebook

If you’re really trying to save time, kill two birds with one stone and check Facebook. Not only do they have a trending stories box in the upper right hand corner, but if something really big is happening, people will most likely be posting opinions and articles about it on Facebook.