4 Simple Things I Appreciate About Christmas As An Adult

Christmas isn't about getting the coolest gadget.
54

For me, Christmases are small and simple--no extravagant get-togethers or anything like that. But I think that makes it better, because it's down-to-earth, focused on what really matters. For me, Christmas is about family, and the little things. Not to sound cliche, but I think Christmas time is the most beautiful time of year!

1. Decorating

We put up our Christmas decorations on Thanksgiving. Some might say that's a bit early to start the Christmas celebrations, but all the lights and the color make everything seem so happy. I can't look at holiday lights without smiling.

2. Making cookies

Every Christmas Eve, I make chocolate chip cookies from scratch. I mean, I get the recipe from the package of chocolate chips... But that still counts, right? Making cookies is a simple thing, but it's one of my favorite parts of the holiday. It's a nice way to bring my family together and enjoy something fun.

3. Waking up early

There's only one day of the year I'll wake up before 6 a.m. without complaint, and that is Christmas morning. I may be grown, but my excitement on Christmas rivals that of a child. Waking up at or before sunrise, the snow sparkling and the lights shining-- it's just so beautiful.

4. Finally having the financial ability to buy my parents presents

Throughout my childhood, my parents poured their hearts and souls into Christmas, and I'm happy that I finally have the chance to give them something, even if it's just something small. It's a nice way to show them that I acknowledge and appreciate everything they've done for me. I don't have to do it, but it's nice.