4 Reasons You Should Be Watching 'Gilmore Girls'

"Where you lead, I will follow. Anywhere that you tell me to."

9
Nine.com

1. The characters are so darn real.

Have you ever watched a show and just been astounded at how unrealistic the characters were? "Gilmore Girls" is nothing like that. From the boys that Rory dates to the relationship between her and her mother, there are so many relatable experiences in the show. At some point during the series, you will feel like you’re actually watching your life play out on a screen. It might be hard to imagine having something in common with girls who live in small-town Connecticut or go to Ivy league schools, but the challenges they face and the mistakes they make are very realistic. There are stories of betrayals, secrets, first loves, family feuds and friendship all wrapped into one show. Not to mention that Melissa McCarthy is absolutely hilarious!

2. Stars Hollow is the perfect place to live.

Everyone has fantasized about living in a small town at some point in their lives. Stars Hollow, CT would be the perfect place to settle down and live out a wonderful life if it were real. Even though the place is fictitious, the idea of a hometown where everyone knows each other and looks out for one another lives on. Stars Hollow is beautiful. From the gazebo to the iconic Luke’s diner, everything about it feels like home. You can walk the streets and really get to know your neighbors. Everyone wants to feel like they belong somewhere, and I feel like I definitely belonged in Stars Hollow. Where else could a teen mother and her baby find a place to grow into beautiful, strong young women? I’m not sure there’s anywhere left that is so open-hearted and kind.

3. The boys you fall in love with.

There’s a boy for everyone. There’s the first love, Dean, who makes you feel safe and loved. He’s there for Rory when she needs him, and he fought for her. Not to say his character was perfect, which he definitely was not, but he was a person who had a great impact on Rory. He was the first boy who saw her for who she was: an intelligent, beautiful, strong woman. It also didn’t hurt that he was played by Jared Padalecki. Next, we saw the bad boy Jesse. Every girl supposedly has a bad boy phase. He skips school, he smokes and he doesn’t participate in any of the town’s silly functions. He was also understatedly romantic and caring. Jesse was definitely the edgy boy that any girl would love to date. Finally, there was Logan: the heartthrob. He lived dangerously and boldly. He broke hearts and mended some too, but he was the epitome of the stereotypical college boyfriend. Rory and he made mistakes, hurt each other and showed us that love isn’t always clean-cut.

4. The epic romance of Luke and Lorelai.

Every show has a will-they-or-won’t-they couple. You watch their friendship on the screen, and you just know that there is something more to their story. You watch them have each other’s backs, be the shoulder to cry on and be a constant friend and support system. Luke and Lorelai were the type of love that never could have happened overnight. They helped each other grow into dependable, loving people who saw the best in others. Theirs was a relationship to strive for. Someone who always protected you and believed in you. They showed that sometimes love comes in the most unexpected place. Whether it’s at a small, neighborhood diner or in the town’s scenic gazebo. There was plenty to learn from watching them fumble through the unfamiliar territory between friendship and relationship.

"Gilmore Girls" wasn’t just a sappy television show that always seems to be on one channel or another. It was a show that made people feel something. It showed that sex doesn’t always have to be the main plot device. It proved that romance can take a back burner to family and friends. No matter what the residents of Stars Hollow endured, they knew that they would always have a loving community and a place to call home.