Four Reasons Reading Day Has To Change

Four Reasons Reading Day Has To Change

473
Four Reasons Reading Day Has To Change

So you just wrapped up your last class of the semester. This probably means you have just completed an essay (or four) and carried your group through a presentation or project that was supposed to be worked on throughout the whole semester.

The last week of classes is arguably the busiest of the year with these projects, essays and presentations, but don't tell USC administration this. Apparently it has been decided that one reading day is sufficient time to prepare for your upwards of five exams in a week's time. This needs to change and here's why:

1. It's not unprecedented territory.

If you are unfamiliar with the University of Alabama's practice before exams, there is this little thing called "dead week." That's right, not a day, but rather an entire week to prepare for final exams. So you're telling me that Alabama gets an entire week to prepare for their coloring book exams (such are my beliefs of the curriculum in that state) while us international business and finance students have one day to prepare for the curriculum of the #1 program in the nation? Well, one day is better than nothing right? That would be true except...

2. Reading day isn't always guaranteed.

Last semester was quite infuriating when it came to reading day. Why you ask? It occurred on a SUNDAY. I'm sorry, but the "extra" day you gave us to prepare for the upcoming week of Adderall overdose and sleepless nights was a day WE ALREADY HAVE OFF! If you work on Sundays you didn't even get a reading day. Thanks, USC. I really don't know how this was even allowed to happen. I felt robbed and so did my grades.

3. It's almost a guaranteed increase in GPA for the student body.

You would have a hard time convincing me that the overall GPA of the student body in each of the colleges here at the University of South Carolina would not increase given a few extra free days to study. Of course, not every student would take advantage and would end up going to the pool instead, but hey, that is their prerogative. It is no secret some students came to party not to get an education. As for us students that want a better life and education to get there, it would be much obliged. Our results at the end of the semester would sky rocket given the extra time.

4. The benefit is not just for students.

Giving extra reading days would benefit the professors and other faculty as well. There is now more time to get all grades in. It seems many professors are racing the clock to submit their grades. With a better understanding of one's actual grade, students can gauge what performance they need to receive a certain grade more easily. Professors would also have more time for research, since right now they're caught up on grading and a whole host of other administrative activities. They would also have time to meet with students who need help if they would like. The school itself benefits because with a higher GPA of the student body, the university can boast more about its credentials and receive more prestige, rewards, and recognition from other schools.

I understand that we are supposed to be working throughout the semester and a final is somewhat of a review of what we learned. That being said, so often the final is new material and anyone who has ever been in college understands you can't just go into an exam with minimal studying and rest on your laurels. We don't need a full week like Alabama, but two to three days could make a world of a difference for us students trying our hardest to succeed. In a world that is only getting faster, a slight pause would be greatly appreciated.