5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Keep A Journal and Write Their Heart Out

Simple words on paper could go a long way.

143
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/30/636580196460181090-322162154_cathryn-lavery-67852-unsplash.jpg

Whether it's just writing down a sentence, doodling, or writing a single word — everyone should keep a journal! Words are fascinating and can lead to beautiful creations such as the following reasons:

1. Keepsake for your children.

If my own mother kept journals and documented things as she grew older, I would cherish them with my entire being! I think it would've been so interesting to read my moms feelings and experiences she went through in her own handwriting. There's something about words from a pen or pencil on paper that bring authenticity. I always think about my future with my own children someday and how I'll be able to give them my journals as a guidebook. The words you write down and document can guide our future children for when they're going through similar situations we experienced at their age.

2. Finding your voice.

When someone tells me they hate writing because they "suck" at it, I immediately disagree. I don't believe there's such thing as a bad writer — I only believe there's room for improvement! As you begin writing more and more, you start to become familiar and comfortable with your words in which you later expand on. I'll be honest, when I look through my old journals from when I was 15 years old, I actually cringe as I read through them — but that doesn't make me a bad writer. As the years progressed and as I got older, I've seen a huge difference in my writing style. Like with everything else in life, things take time and practice!

3. An outlet for your deepest feelings and emotions.

When I was going through heartbreak, I found comfort in jotting down every single thought and feeling I had floating around. Being able to express every ounce of emotion on paper was a huge escape for me and I know it can be for other's as well! Whether it's a simple "today I'm feeling sad" or anything along those lines, it's a nice way to get those thoughts off your chest and free your mind.

4. A reminder of certain experiences that you not only went through but conquered.

Looking back on past journal entries and reading what you experienced at certain moments can be a reminder that you can get through anything! Think of it as if you're giving your future-self advice — if those certain situations ever happen again later down the line, you'll know how to handle it!

5. A nice way to reflect on things at the end of the day.

At the end of day, it's nice to sit down, relax, and reflect on your life. Write down everything that occurred and everything you experienced during that specific day. Whether it's writing every night or here and there, this gives you the perfect opportunity to reflect on what your grateful for, your goals for the days ahead, and allows you to document simple moments that make your heart happy.