4 Things For College Students To Remind Themselves When Discouraged

Working hard doesn't mean working yourself silly!
1556

It is so easy to feel discouraged at an age when all you're worried about is getting a job or an internship. It's easy to overwork yourself and not get enough sleep and forget to take a deep breath. It's easy to feel like making a good impression and being who you are won't be good enough, and, makes giving up look like a better option. When I'm discouraged, I try to remind myself of a few things, with the help of my friends and family supporting me.

1. Everyone you know started from the bottom.

There's a reason that Drake song is really popular. Most of the famous or successful people that you look up to started where you are: in a college classroom, wondering why the hell a humanities major has to take math. But you need that degree to get to where you want to be, and all of those classes will pay off when you're doing what you love to do.

2. It's okay to take a break.

No one, and I mean no one can function without at least sleeping off their day every night. Even during the day, don't kill yourself by studying your butt off every waking minute of the day. Taking a half hour to watch an episode of your favorite TV show is the perfect study break. During meals, don't have your book open as you eat! Relax and enjoy the mindless breaks, and don't punish yourself for wanting one.

3. This too shall pass.

This one is something my sister tells me on a daily basis. I tend to be the type of person that takes every bad thing as the worst thing ever. From bad midterm grades to arguing with my mother, I always think it will be the thing that kills me. But it won't. This day will soon be over, and I can start again tomorrow. This class I hate so much ends in a few weeks. This person in my life will change, and so will I, and ultimately for the better. Nothing is really set in stone. The worst things in life will pass, and as Florence and the Machine put it so well, "It's always darkest before the dawn."

4. You are so loved.

There are countless people out there that would do anything to keep you safe, happy, and healthy. No one wants to see you hurt or in pain. It's ok to give up on something that is hurting you, whether it be a major you abhor, a friend or significant other that isn't respecting you, or a class that you're slaving over and just not getting the grades you deserve. You can change your major to something you like, or take on a minor. You will make better friends. Even though it's hard to let people go, sometimes, it's for the best to not hang out with them all the time. And if the class is killing you, you can re-take it. Even though it seems like a waste of time and credits, it's not worth your health.

You are so much more than your struggles. You are your passions and your determination. Hard work is what college is about, and stress is completely normal and even healthy. But don't let the bad things consume the good.