34 Must-See Scary Movies From One Horror Fan To Another

My own, personal list of some of my favorite horror movies and franchises.

1563
Skitterphoto

In honor of Halloween (which is really a year-round holiday for horror movie fans), I put together a list of some of my personal favorite scary movies. Below you'll find a few classics, an insight into what I love about the horror genre and maybe a few new films to add to your collection.

1. "The Devil's Rejects"

Rob Zombie not only cemented his legacy as a metal god in the music world but as one of the best horror minds among other filmmakers. It's not usually common for a horror film sequel to be better than its predecessor, but there's no denying that "The Devil's Rejects" was an upgrade from Zombie's 2003 "House of 1000 Corpses." Ultimately, Zombie takes the deranged, serial-killing Firefly family out of their house of horrors and places them on the run from an almost equally sadistic cop seeking revenge. As the family evades authorities, partying and slaughtering to a stellar classic rock soundtrack, the most disturbing part of this movie is that you almost feel bad for the psychotic family by the end of the film.

Interestingly enough, it was recently announced that Zombie plans to release another film in the Firefly storyline. Bloody Disgusting exclusively announced that the director is working on a follow-up to "The Devil's Rejects." Fans of the movie will certainly speculate as to how Zombie intends to do so, and Bloody Disgusting assumes that it will either be a spin-off or a prequel that dives more into the family's history of doing "the devil's work."

2. "Halloween" (1978) & (2007)

Michael Myers became the face of horror and defining the template for slasher movies after making his debut in the late 70's. His silent stare, merciless killing and having his own theme music that still creeps people out to this day, applied a whole new meaning to the Halloween holiday. Creator John Carpenter is actually planning on releasing a new "Halloween" film in 2018, but with a couple of fun twists: It will be a direct sequel to the original film, effectively ignoring any of the sequels and enabling Jamie Lee Curtis to return as her original iconic scream queen, Laurie Strode.

Reboots are always controversial, but I'm open-minded. Deliver a quality plot and well-written characters, and I'm there. Rob Zombie's 2007 take on the classic horror film has become a personal favorite of mine, and one that I feel should be watched alongside the original. Why? Because I love that Zombie gave young Michael Myers a background story that plays out throughout the beginning of the film. That being said, part of the reason why Michael Myers was originally so terrifying was because he was just evil without any real reason. However, being the psychology nerd that I am, I always find it fascinating whenever a movie attempts to delve into the darkest minds onscreen. Whether you agree or not, Zombie's remake is, in my opinion, a worthy addition to the "Halloween" universe.

3. "The Exorcist" (1973)

This movie should generally be a given on most horror movie lists. "The Exorcist" set a new standard of horror on the big screen, introducing audiences to a sub-genre that inspires films to this day: demonic possession. It also introduced a brand-new way of walking down the stairs, much to my delight.

One of my favorite things about "The Exorcist" is the impact it made on audiences when the movie was released. Watching documentaries on its cultural impact is almost as fascinating as the film itself. Moviegoers had never experienced a horror film quite like this before, one that brought the devil onto the screen in such a brutal, terrifyingly real fashion. There were reports of attendees walking out of the theater, vomiting, and/or passing out in the middle of a movie that was groundbreaking in the 1970's.

4. "The Conjuring" Universe

I might be cheating by including an entire franchise, but the creators of this (so far) four movie narrative have produced something special. Not only did James Wan create a stellar horror film with the first, "The Conjuring," based on the true stories of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren, but writer Gary Dauberman (who also wrote the screenplay for this year's massive horror hit, "It") helped Wan expand his story by writing a spin-off/ two prequels: "Annabelle," and "Annabelle: Creation." These two films precede the events in "The Conjuring" films, and complete part of the historical timeline that eventually connects to the Warren's journey.

Wan's decision to expand the universe also further opened up the possibility of more movies popping up based on characters and cursed artifacts that the Warrens have come across. One of those spin-offs was introduced as an Easter egg in "Annabelle: Creation" when the Nun, the same demonic entity that haunts Lorraine in "The Conjuring 2," briefly appears in a photo. Wan and Dauberman wrote the screenplay for "The Nun," which will focus on the history of that character and comes out on July 13, 2018. Another spin-off, "The Crooked Man," as well as "The Conjuring 3," have also been announced.

Between the two verses, though, my favorite movie so far is definitely "The Conjuring 2."

5. "It" (2017)

Before anyone says anything: Yes, the movie is not as scary as many expected it to be. This adaptation of Stephen King's novel focuses more on character and the relationships between the Losers' Club as our young heroes face their fears. While the film is funnier than was expected, full of heart and great dialogue in a wonderfully written narrative, that shouldn't take away from the scares and thrills that do exist in the film. The creators did a wonderful job integrating tension, disturbing moments, and a few jump-scares throughout the film. These moments, combined with Bill Skarsgård's undoubtedly iconic performance as Pennywise the Clown, help propel this movie into an immediate horror classic.

"It" easily became the highest-grossing horror film of all time, and the second chapter of the story is already underway, with the creators planning on exploring the adult timeline just like in the book. The sequel is expected to be released in September of 2019.

6. "Child's Play"

Chucky was my introduction to horror at a pretty young age. I watched part of "Child's Play" when I was probably not nearly old enough to witness a doll coming to life and start killing people, but it was fun to be sneaky and rebellious and watch something my parents would never have approved of at that age. After six months of nightmares, Chucky and I came to a new understanding as I got over my fears and, within the next few years, Brad Dourif's iconic character became my favorite horror movie villain.

7. "30 Days of Night"

For me, "30 Days of Night" is easily the best vampire horror movie out there. The graphic novel adaptation offers up an intriguing and terrifying premise: What if vampires came to your Alaskan town knowing that for the next 30 days there would be no sunlight to harm them and they've cut off all outside communication and ways of escape? The movie is bloody, intense and even heartbreaking, and the vampires present themselves in a way you would expect blood-thirsty monsters who need to kill to survive would.

8. "28 Days Later"

This movie is probably my favorite from the zombie/infected genre. Waking up to a post-apocalyptic landscape where there are hardly any humans left but plenty of zombie-like creatures and not a clue as to what transpired is a great way to start the tension off in this film. My favorite parts? The fact that the infected people, under the influence of the "Rage" virus, actually run, instead of the usual slow gait we see in classic zombie flicks. The other is one of my favorite themes that is often presented in horror movies: Who makes the worst monster? The mindless infected who only know how to kill, or the humans left behind in an uncivilized word?

9. "The Shining"

Of all of Stephen King's classic horror movie adaptations, "The Shining" still holds up as the best. Featuring some of the most memorable moments in scary movie history, including Jack Nicholson's incredible performance and a great twist ending, "The Shining" is, simply, perfect horror.

Fun fact: The first time I ever caught a glimpse of "The Shining" as a kid was when a clip of the "Here's Johnny" scene appears in the movie "Twister" during the drive-in theater tornado sequence. That brief glimpse was enough to engage my curiosity, and, again, I probably watched "The Shining" before I was old enough to.

10. "Sinister"

This is one of those horror movies that I have watched so many times I've lost count. You can never go wrong with creepy kids, and it doesn't hurt if you're a fan of Ethan Hawke, either. The movie has a creative combination of tension, disturbing scenes, and scares, along with characters that are easy to connect with (making their fates all the more horrifying).

11. "Paranormal Activity"

"Paranormal Activity" wasn't the start of the found-footage film style (see honorable mention: "The Blair Witch Project") but it certainly put the sub-genre on the horror movie map. The plot was clever as was the camera work, and it's one of those movies that stuck with me when I got back home, making me think twice about checking out the random creaking noise in my house; which is, actually, rare for me.

12. "Pet Sematary"

This movie proved to me why kids are always the creepiest in horror films. Miko Hughes' portrayal of baby Gage wandering around the house with a scalpel asking his dad to come play with him will always be the scariest set of kid scenes in any horror movie. And, hey, you can't go wrong with another Stephen King classic.

"Now I want to play with youuuu..." No thanks, evil baby Gage. No thanks.

13. "Saw"

"Saw" has become one of the biggest modern horror franchises in the game. That being said, I, personally, don't think that any of the sequels (while fun, gory, and twisted - if you're into that kind of thing) hold a candle to the first one. There was a very subtle brilliance behind the premise of this movie, with a genuine mystery and psychological element that was transfixing. Complete with one of the best twist endings I've ever seen in a movie, no matter how fun any of the sequels are (and, yes, I will be in the theaters watching "Jigsaw" opening weekend) they'll never be better than the original.

14. "The Descent"

Another fun fact: I didn't know I was claustrophobic until I watched this movie *shudder*

15. "Psycho" (1960)

Alfred Hitchcock's classic, that later inspired the brilliant "Bates Motel" TV series, was the first horror film that really forced the audience to examine a disturbed mind. While Norman Bates' Dissociative Identity Disorder is not really a proper representation of the actual illness, Hitchcock showed that psychological suspense is just as scary as anything else in horror films; especially when the killer is based off a real-life psycho.

16. "Insidious"

Out of all of the horror movies my best friend, Dani, and I have watched together, this was the only one where she actually screamed out loud in the middle of the theater...and it wasn't even the most terrifying part of the movie. While I love to tease her, it speaks volumes about how masterfully the fear and tension is built-up in this movie, as well as the effective jump-scares layered throughout. The intense and relentless score jars the nerves as much as anything else on screen, which is why seeing it in theaters was a big plus because you can't turn the volume down. "Insidious" is smart horror and first proved that Patrick Wilson was made for this genre.

17. "Poltergeist" (1982)

The toy clown alone lands "Poltergeist" on this list. Also, it was one of my first horror movies when I was a kid and I was in love with Zelda Rubinstein's voice. The movie is simple and fun, with a scary plot complete with great young actors and genuinely creepy scenes.

On a side note, one of my favorite episodes of "Family Guy" is "Petergeist," in which the cartoon parodies the movie and only reminds me how much I love the original film every time that episode is re-run on TV.

18. "The Ring"

So after my childhood trauma with Chucky, before we became BFFs, it was awhile before another horror movie really rattled me. I'm a huge fan of the genre (you don't say) and while I might jump during a scary movie or experience my heart racing (which I love) during certain scenes, it's actually pretty rare for me to be scared or nervous over a film after-the-fact. Like "Paranormal Activity," though, "The Ring" was one of the first movies that haunted me once it was over. It was eerie, original (no, I had not seen "Ringu" at the time) and drove the imagination wild for days whenever a phone rang. And if you don't think Samara was terrifyingly creepy, you're just lying to yourself.

19. "High Tension"

I don't think this movie gets talked about enough, but it is absolutely worth a watch. "High Tension" is aptly named, because it is genuinely terrifying, and brutal, with a badass lead female character that you will be cheering for while simultaneously being scared to death over.

20. "The Grudge"

Along the same lines as "The Ring," "The Grudge" is one of those horror movies that stays with you once it's over. You can thank creepy kids that project strange, inhuman noises for that.

21. "Friday the 13th" (1980)

Another iconic horror character is born, and camping in the woods became ten times scarier. How many times in your life have you uttered the classic Jason Voorhees theme chant?

ChChCh...HaHaHa...

22. "The Strangers"

At the end of the day, human beings will always make for the most terrifying villains. What at first feels a bit like a cat-and-mouse game turns swiftly into a sadistic, predator vs prey themed horror film that will leave your stomach in knots throughout.

23. "A Nightmare on Elm Street" (1984)

This was a particularly brilliant horror premise that birthed another iconic horror character: Freddy Krueger. The idea was simple and terrifying: Everyone needs sleep, but what if our nightmares could actually kill? You can only stay awake for so long...

24. "Hostel"

This movie is definitely not for everyone, even some of the most hardcore horror fans. Again, it plays on the idea that people, not monsters or supernatural creatures, are the most terrifying when they go bad, which is why I like it so much. Some call it torture-porn, and while you can certainly make a case for it, that's actually become a controversial argument in itself. So, I'll be blunt: The movie is wonderfully gory (like extremely graphic torture scenes), bloody and not for the squeamish. If those things aren't enough to turn you away, then Eli Roth is the director for you.

25. "Jaws"

Steven Spielberg's adaptation of the bestselling book by the same name holds up to this day and will continue to stand up to the test of time for as long as there are people around to watch. More than just a creature-feature, this movie, for me, showed how effective a drama horror film can be, with plenty of colorful characters to entertain and relate to.

Another anecdote at my expense: I watched this movie for the first time when I was a kid (shocking, I know) at one of my best friend's grandparent's house. It was getting close to bedtime, and I needed to take a bath. Before heading into the bathroom, my friend's grandmother, the prankster she is, told me as sincerely as she possibly could that sharks can come up through the drain in the bathtub. So, you can probably imagine how I spent my entire time in the bath (as far away from the drain as I could get while staring at the hole waiting for Jaws himself to greet me).

26. "The Omen" (1976)

Give me classic horror, intelligent story-telling, and creepy Antichrist babies any day. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but "The Omen" is the first time the Number of the Beast, 666, was used in a movie, especially this creatively. "The Omen" carries on where "The Exorcist" left off, using people's religious fear of the Devil to create a film that was truly terrifying, especially for its time.

27. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1974)

Another classic horror character and innovative film. Leatherface was inspired by real-life serial killer Ed Gein (who also inspired "Psycho's" Norman Bates) who kept human organs and fashioned clothing and accessories out of body parts. Like lampshades. Yeah. Also, masks made from human skin, just like what Leatherface does to his victims in "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

If you've never seen the director's commentary with star Gunnar Hansen for this film, do it. It's wild and as entertaining (and disturbing) as the movie itself.

28. "The Woman in Black" (2012)

This movie might be my favorite gothic-style horror film. Daniel Radcliffe proves that he can act in any genre, and the movie is full of rich characters that make the brilliant plot even more enjoyable, scary and heartbreaking. There is a specific sequence in the film with back-to-back scares that lasts for a few minutes straight where the heart-pounding fear is relentless, and it's one of my favorite moments in any horror movie.

29. "Final Destination"

I've always loved the idea behind this movie, that death is a conscious entity that you can't necessarily see or talk to, but its presence is unending and unstoppable. You can outsmart it for awhile, maybe, but it is the ultimate, relentless villain. While the sequels are all fun in their own way (mostly with how they try to come up with all of the creative ways someone can die) "Final Destination" stands on its own as a true horror classic.

30. "Jeepers Creepers"

"Jeepers creepers
Where'd you get those peepers?
Jeepers creepers
Where'd you get those eyes?..."

31. "The Witch"

I have friends who love this movie and friends who hate it; I fall on the former because I appreciate the distinct and disturbing atmosphere of "The Witch." There's a feeling that perhaps the family's devout focus on sin is what ultimately invites this horror and paranoia into their lives. It's fascinating attempting to pick through what could be the reality or just a perspective of one of the characters, and finally, the somewhat unsettling end. If you're looking for an original, modern horror that sets itself apart from the rest, this is the movie for you.

32. "Hush"

This is another movie that, when it came out, was talked about by so many people and then quietly forgotten about and deserves far more love. The smart narrative is not only intense and often times terrifying, but it's representative that being deaf (or disabled) is not a weakness.

33. "The Possession"

I love almost all of Jeffrey Dean Morgan's work, and "The Possession" is definitely a favorite. While there are plenty of horror movies about demonic possession out there, this one has a fresh feel (thanks to the focus on character) that I adore. Fitted with plenty of scary moments (see: "Daddy, you scared me"), great performances and clever twists, master horror creator Sam Raimi knocked it out of the park with this one.

34. "The Serpent and the Rainbow"

Scared of being buried alive? I wasn't until I watched this movie when I was a kid, again sneaking off to watch scary movies because I just couldn't get enough.

Trust me, I know there are plenty of amazing scary movies not included on this list. Picking only 34 (or so) was a difficult task. What are some of your favorite horror films or franchises that didn't make my personal cut?