30 Lies We Tell Ourselves Proven Wrong By Scripture

What you feel or think about yourself is not always true.

4907
Christ For All Nations

1. Lie: I am unworthy and unacceptable.

Truth: I am accepted and worthy.

Romans 15:7- "Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."

Other Verse(s)- Psalm 139

2. Lie: I am alone.

Truth: I am never alone.

Deuteronomy 31:6- "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Other Verse(s)- Hebrews 13:5, Romans 8:38-39

3. Lie: I feel like a failure.

Truth: I am perfect the way I am.

2 Corinthians 3:5 & 6- "Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."

Other Verse(s)- Philippians 4:13

4. Lie: I have no confidence.

Truth: I have every reason to be confident.

Proverbs 3:26- "For the Lord will be at your side
and will keep your foot from being snared."

Other Verse(s)- Proverbs 11:26, Proverbs 28:1, Hebrews 10:19, Ephesians 3:17

5. Lie: I am confused.

Truth: I have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:16- "for, 'Who can know the Lord's thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?' But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ."

Other Verse(s)- 2 Timothy 1:7

6. Lie: I am depressed.

Truth: I have every reason to be hopeful.

Romans 15:13- "I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit."

Other Verse(s)- Psalm 16:11, Psalm 27:13, Psalm 31:24

7. Lie: I am not good enough for God.

Truth: I am perfect in Christ.

Hebrews 10:14- "For by that one offering He forever made perfect those who are being made holy."

Other Verse(s)- Colossians 2:13

8. Lie: There is nothing special about me.

Truth: I am made in the image of God.

Genesis 1:26- "Then God said, 'Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us'..."

Other Verse(s)- Genesis 9:6, Jeremiah 1:5, Isiah 49:1 & 5

9. Lie: I don't have what I need.

Truth: I lack nothing.

Philippians 4:19- "And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus."

10. Lie: I am afraid.

Truth: I have nothing to fear.

Psalm 34:4- "I prayed to the Lord and he answered me, freeing me from all my fears."

Other Verse(s)- 2 Timothy 1:7, 1 Peter 5, John 4:4

11. Lie: I don't have enough faith.

Truth: God has given me the faith I need.

Romans 12:3- "Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us."

12. Lie: I am weak.

Truth: I am strong in Christ.

Daniel 11:32- "He will flatter and win over those who have violated the covenant. But the people who know their God will be strong and will resist him."

Other Verse(s)- Psalm 37:34, Philippians 4:13, Acts 1:8, Ephesians 3:16

13. Lie: I am defeated.

Truth: I am victorious.

Romans 8:37- "No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us."

Other Verse(s)- 2 Corinthians 2:14, 1 John 5:4

14. Lie: I am not very smart.

Truth: I have God's wisdom.

Proverbs 2:6 & 7- "For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity."

Other Verse(s)- 1 Corinthians 1:30

15. Lie: I am addicted.

Truth: I am free from bondage.

Psalm 32:7- "For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory."

Other Verse(s)- 2 Corinthians 3:17, John 8:36

16. Lie: I am miserable.

Truth: I have God's comfort.

John 15:6- "Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned."

Other Verse(s)- John 16:7, 2 Corinthians 1:3 & 4

17. Lie: I have no one to take care of me.

Truth: God provides for and protects me.

Psalm 32:7- (See #15)

18. Lie: No one loves me.

Truth: I am precious to God.

John 15:9- "I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love."

Other Verse(s)- Romans 8: 38 & 39, Ephesians 2:4, Ephesians 5:1, 1 John 4:10 & 11, Isaiah 62:4 & 5

19. Lie: I don't belong anywhere.

Truth: I am God's child. I belong to Him.

Romans 8:16 & 17- "And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering."

Other Verse(s)- Galatians 4:5, Ephesians 1:5, 1 John 3:2. Isaiah 43:1

20. Lie: I feel guilty.

Truth: I am forgiven and blameless.

Psalm 103:12- "He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west."

Other Verse(s)- Ephesians 1:7, Colossians 1:14-20, Hebrews 10:7, John 3:18, Romans 8:1

21. Lie: I am a sinner.

Truth: I am a saint. I have been declared righteous and holy.

Romans 3:24- "Yet God, in his grace, freely makes us right in his sight. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins."

Other Verse(s)- 1 Corinthians 1:30, 1 Corinthians 6:11, 2 Corinthians 5:21, Ephesians 1:1

22. Lie: I can't reach God.

Truth: I have direct access to God.

Ephesians 2:6- "For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus."

Other Verse(s)- 1 Peter 2:5 & 9

23. Lie: I am the same person I always was.

Truth: I have been crucified with Christ. I have a new life in Him.

Galatians 4:7- " Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child. And since you are his child, God has made you his heir."

Other Verse(s)- 2 Corinthians 5:7

24. Lie: I have no purpose.

Truth: God has a purpose for my life.

Psalm 37:23- "The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives."

Other Verse(s)- Psalm 138:8, John 10:10, Ephesians 2:10

25. Lie: I am afraid of Satan.

Truth: I have authority over Satan.

Colossians 1:13- "For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins."

Other Verse(s)- 1 John 4:4, Revelation 12:11

26. Lie: I am overpowered by my sin.

Truth: I am dead to sin.

Romans 6:11- "So you also should consider yourselves to be dead to the power of sin and alive to God through Christ Jesus."

27. Lie: I must perform to please God.

Truth: I am dead to the standard of performance.

Romans 6:14- "Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God’s grace."

Other Verse(s)- Romans 7:4-6

28. Lie: I am afraid of death.

Truth: I am assured of Heaven.

1 John 5:11 & 12- "And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life."

Other Verse(s)- John 10 27-30, John 14:1-3,

29. Lie: I have no abilities God could use.

Truth: I have been given spiritual gifts to use for God's service.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11- "A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other. To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge. The same Spirit gives great faith to another, and to someone else the one Spirit gives the gift of healing.He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said. It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have."

30. Lie: I have no father.

Truth: God is my Father.

Romans 8:15 & 16- "So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, 'Abba, Father.' For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children."

Other Verse(s)- Matthew 7:9-11