30-Day Snapchat Cleanse

30-Day Snapchat Cleanse

Start your social media cleansing program today!

419
30-Day Snapchat Cleanse
The Verge

Our world is constantly changing. Some say that our world has changed faster in the last decade than it has ever before, thanks to the invention of new technologies. These new technologies have given rise to social media, which provides us with more insight into the lives of others than we could have ever imagined. The majority of the human population today keeps their online “friends” constantly updated about where they are going, who they are hanging out with, and how their week has been. While there are many benefits to social media, there are also many downsides, just as with anything in life. As you gain knowledge about what others are doing, you get to see what you’re not doing. This easily leaves people feeling lonely and left out when they really have no reason to feel that way. I have experienced both of these feelings before, simply from seeing my friends hanging out without me, traveling the world while I’m studying in the library, or going out and having fun while I’m at home. Someone could be having a great day, but as soon as they see a picture on Snapchat that lasts for five seconds, they immediately feel left out and upset. Five seconds. One picture. That is all it takes to turn someone’s day around for the worse. I am very sensitive to what goes on around me, and seeing one quick picture of my friends having plans that I wasn’t included in immediately dampens my mood. One picture should not have that power, which is why I decided to do a 30-day Snapchat Cleanse. This was my first attempt at stunt journalism, in which I didn’t use my Snapchat account for 30 days. After these 30 days, I am not tempted to go back to using it on the regular, and here is why.

I have honestly noticed an increase in my mood after removing Snapchat from my life. I don’t see the plans that I’m not included in, don’t feel bad for staying in on a night where most of my friends are going out, and don’t feel the need to always be on the go because I don’t see what I could be missing out on. Instead, I am perfectly content with where I am at the moment because that is all I know. I don’t know what my friends and family are up to because I’m not following their lives through a series of pictures updating me on what they’re doing 24/7. I don’t need to know what everyone is doing all the time, because why? Because it doesn’t matter. What happened to privacy and mystery? Who knows, maybe my friends happened to see each other on campus and made plans for later that night. They didn’t think to include me because I wasn’t with them earlier that day. Yes, maybe all of my friends are out and having fun, but I shouldn’t feel guilty for staying in because I have been feeling run down and have an important exam the next morning. It is good for the soul to not be constantly worrying about what you might be missing out on, but instead just being happy where you are. Nothing good ever comes from “keeping up with the Jones’.”

I am not here to criticize Snapchat or social media, or say that everyone should stop using them. I am here to advise everyone to take a step back and see how social media is affecting their lives. Maybe you are able to constantly check up on social media and feel fine, but maybe not. For me, I have found that I am happier without being up in everyone’s business. It is hard in this day and age to not check up on all forms of social media because that is how many people stay connected. So, I dare you to try it. 30 days without a form of social media. See what you gain when you lose.