How We Know You're Not From Nashville

How We Know You're Not From Nashville

How to spot a tourist in Nashville.

2694
How We Know You're Not From Nashville
Evan Kersten

I may be a little biased, but I think that I live in one of the best cities in the US. Nashville is such an exciting and adventurous place, and there's always something going on. However, if you don't live around here, we can tell. There are a number of ways to spot a tourist from a local and they're more obvious than you think.

You're wearing cowboy boots.

When planning to visit Nashville, one might assume that all we wear is cowboy boots and we would never think of wearing anything else. I think outsiders assume that we own a different pair of cowboy boots for every day of the week. Newsflash: WE DO NOT. I know very few people who wear cowboy boots often. While we all may own a pair (I mean who can beat the two for one boot prices on Broadway?), we aren't strutting around the Nashville streets in our boots. Or hats! Cowboy hats is a whole other issue...

You're on Broadway.

The ultimate sign for "Hey, I'm a tourist!" is wearing cowboy boots on Broadway. Now, I'm not saying locals avoid Broadway...but we totally do. My friends that go to different schools assume Lipscomb students always have something to do because of Broadway, but that is far from the truth. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ventured downtown when I wasn't there for a concert at Bridgestone or a Predators hockey game.

You're looking for celebrities.

In Nashville, celebrities are just people. They eat at the same restaurants we do, they live down the street from us, their kids go to the high schools we went to. It's just not a big deal here, which is why, I think, celebrities love it here. I know the show Nashville shows that there are paparazzi all over the city, but that is far from the truth. I can honestly say I've never seen someone who looks remotely like paparazzi. I'm not saying I didn't freak out when I saw Hayden Panettiere in Walmart or that I don't have a "Celebrities I Hope To See" list, but for the most part, seeing celebrities is no big deal.

You're all about the murals.

I Believe In Nashville, Hillsboro Village's Dragon, Center 615, The Wall of Cash. So much street art, so many tourists. You're probably being judged by Nashvillians when you post an Insta with one of these in the background, but if you're a true tourist, you have no shame. Plus, these make for really great places to take your family when they come in town. (P.S. Murals are also a great place to find teenagers who think they're super cool! Avoid them.)

You're not hipster enough for us.

If you know anything about Nashville, you know that to blend in, you're going to need some Birks, a top knot, or a flannel. True hipsters have been wearing flannels all summer long (and I judge your sanity for that). If you're wearing anything Western or country themed, we know you're fakin' it. You're either from another state, or sadly, from a suburb of Nashville but you still haven't realized how hipster it is.

You're on a Segway.

Holy moly, Nashville isn't that big. Walk! Don't Segway. Really, don't even ride one of those rental bikes. We will see you, we will know you're from the outside, and we may not show you that Southern hospitality we're known for.

Nashville is one of my favorite cities in the whole world. I'm so lucky to call it home and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Nashville is also the friendliest city around - I love talking to visitors and tourists and asking them what they love most about this wonderful city. But be warned: we can spot you from a mile away. Come visit us and see what we're really all about!