3 Unconventional Self Care Tips

3 Unconventional Self Care Tips

Self Care Is More Than Just Bubble Baths

75
3 Unconventional Self Care Tips
Pexels.com

A new trend among beauty magazines is to emphasize the importance of self-care. Images of nice little bubble baths appear next to inspirational quotes. While that is one aspect of Self-Care, there are other things you can do that count toward self-care and will make you feel better (no promises here).

Also, contrary to the popular belief of beauty magazine discourse, self-care is something everyone should indulge in. Doesn't matter how you identify, you should want to take care of yourself so you can at least pretend to function in this highly unstable and chaotic society we have coined over centuries and forgot that we created it the way it is and that it's not innately, but a man made social concept of what we consider to be working or not working (the fact that we accept so many things as working is kinda terrifying, if you ask me, but oh well) society.

Self-care is not always the relaxing and glamorous hours between coming home from work and having to go to bed for the job you have to wake up for. Self-care can be playing computer games for an hour to calm down, it can be to go grocery shopping, and sometimes it's just laying motionless on the floor and thinking about the arbitrary reality of life and the vastness of the universe that will someday swallow us. Sometimes the things we do for self-care makes some people despair. It is not taking bubble baths and drinking a glass of wine. It can be anything you want it to be. Do you love showering? Yay, treat yo self. Just watch out for that water bill.

Here are some "unconventional" self-care tips for my fellow student out there who just want to get a break:

1. Clean Up That Mess

You can't even begin to imagine the feeling of adultness settling into your bones, caressing your ego with feather light touches of "Good Job" and "Well Done"-s. The constitution of the room might intimidate you, but stand strong! Fight against the currents of dirty laundry and stacked dishes underneath your bed! It might take an hour, but a clean room can help with a clear mind. From personal experiences, I can tell you that a room that has its closet content temporarily acting as a carpet doesn't invite for warm-fuzzy feelings of homeliness.

(If you wanna get the double bonus of this self-care tip, dress up in something that makes you feel less like a cold iceblock of human flesh in this unforgiving earth).

2. Eat That Junk Food

Ever heard of that person who won in the lottery but died the next day? Oh, Alanis Morissette told you that story already? Okay, but what about that person that never smoked, drank, or did anything unhealthy, and died of lung cancer? Yikes. So, get that junk food, buy that blouse, kiss that person. Warning: I am not advising to spend money if money is really tight. Still think about your budget! You gotta keep living another month to have the attitude of "Treat Yo Self". Even if you die one day, you don't have to contribute for it to happen faster!

(If there is no one else treating ya then treat yo self. You deserve it. Yes, you do!)

3. Pay the Bills

Beyoncé and her not so famous group members told y'all: She's not going to pay your bills even if you ask nicely. If someone ever tells you that money doesn't bring happiness just get a new person to talk to. Get new friends if that person is your friend. Still, if you can manage to pay the bills and you just have put off with it because it's a nuisance, you need to get on that right now. It will take away some stress and the mind chatter of: don't forget to pay the bill which will (if you let enough time pass) turn into "Oh my god, I forgot to pay the bills." Pay that mobile phone bill, and pay those fees you might have for not bringing back a book on time!

(No Beyoncé, we have talked about this. You are a multi-billionaire. I am a broke college student. I will not pay your bills. Stop asking!)

You found some of these helpful or amusing, or you thought about your own weird habits that you indulge in to feel better? Share it with me and let me know what makes you relax. Oh, I see you dirty-minded people. Don't you even dare to type that as a reply! NOO-