3 treks you must do in Ladakh

3 treks you must do in Ladakh

Ladakh is paradise for mountain lovers. When it comes to trekking in India, Ladakh comes on the top.

27
3 treks you must do in Ladakh

Ladakh is paradise for mountain lovers. When it comes to trekking in India, Ladakh comes on the top. There are many trekking routes and options for adventure enthusiasts and it caters something exciting and challenging for every thrill seeker. The best time for trekking is from May to October. Here are the 3 best treks in Ladakh that you must do when you visit the region.

Markha valley trek

One of the most popular treks in Ladakh is the Markha valley trek. The trek starts from Chilling and it takes 6 days to reach Hemis where the trek ends. On day 5, you will climb up to the Kongmaru La pass, which is the highest pass on the Markha valley trek at an altitude of 5,260 metres above sea level. The trek covers Ladakh’s picturesque villages, stark landscapes, high mountains scenery, Ladakhi culture and lifestyle. The trek goes through the Hemis National Park, a protected area home to Himalayan bears, wolves, foxes andelusive snow leopards. Spotting the snow leopard in the summer months is very difficult. The best chance to see this big cat is in winter when it comes down to the valley.

Sham valley trek

The Sham valley trek, often nicknamed “baby trek”, is perfect for the beginners and people who are not ready for a long and tough trek. It is one of the easy treks in Ladakh which can be done in 3 daysat all seasons. Trekkers walk only few hours a day but you pass through some steep slopes. This trek takes you through nice villages, you get to visit old and beautiful monasteries along the way and also an opportunity to communicate with local people while staying at their homes (homestays) and having meals together, a great way to experience culture and history of Ladakh.

Nubra valley trek

The Nubra valley trek is a wonderful trek that takes you through the great mountain sceneries, wilderness and amazing trail. It starts from Phyang village near Leh and ends 5 days later at Hunder in the Nubra valley. This trail is less travelled thus this place is highly unexplored which offers some of the best raw beauty of the nature.The trek is bit challenging during the ascent to the Lasermo La pass, the highest point during this trek at an altitude of 5,438 metres above sea level.