3 Tips For Your Next Zoom Interview

3 Tips For Your Next Zoom Interview

These three things could make or break your interview.

18
3 Tips For Your Next Zoom Interview
Photo by visuals on Unsplash

I am excited to share that, last week, I had my very first Zoom interview. I have been interviewed for jobs before, but that was back in the days before COVID-19 existed. Since I had no idea what to expect from a Zoom interview, I spent some time researching tips to help me prepare. By applying these strategies to my interview, I felt more comfortable and confident when presenting myself to the hiring manager.

Dress the part, but not only from the waist up.

person holding black suit jacket button Photo by Andre Hunter on Unsplash

During my Zoom classes this past year, I've really only been concerned about my appearance from the waist up. Wearing a nice sweater to class has been a staple, but it's usually paired with shorts or sweatpants on the bottom. For my Zoom interview, I was tempted to do the same, but after trying on blouses and blazers with my sweatpants, it simply did not feel right. Instead, I tried pairing my blouse with a skirt and heels, and even though the interviewer never saw any of this, it automatically boosted my confidence. Given the rate that things are going, it is possible that we will be having Zoom interviews for quite some time, but treating it as if you were walking into an in-person interview could make a positive difference in your performance.

Be conscious of your word choices.

woman sitting on yellow armless chair near gray laptop computer Photo by Mimi Thian on Unsplash

I don't know about anyone else, but I've seemed to develop a very bad habit of using the words "like" and "um" as fillers quite frequently. When I am speaking casually with friends or family, it is something I tend not to notice, but I believe that is definitely something an interviewer would pick up on. My best advice to avoid using filler words is to speak as slowly and clearly as you need to. Typically, nerves could interfere and make you talk faster or lose your train of thought, but remember - an interview is not a race. Take it slow so that your thoughts translate properly to the interviewer, and you are not using "like" or "um" after every other word.

Timing is everything.

silver bell alarm clock Photo by Icons8 Team on Unsplash

If you were preparing for an in-person interview, I am certain that you would do your best not to oversleep, and to allow yourself plenty of time to get to your destination. Rushing around before an interview creates added stress to the nerves you are likely already experiencing, and the same goes for Zoom interviews. No matter how often you Zoom or how sure you are of your interview set up, allow yourself an extra five to ten minutes to log onto the Zoom and ensure you are not facing any technical difficulties. The interviewer will likely keep you in the waiting room until your scheduled meeting time, so you should not have to worry about getting there early. Instead, secure your set up (and your wifi connection!) to eliminate something that could add stress to your meeting.

There are plenty of other tips that are being shared for Zoom interviews, such as background, camera angles, etc., but I found these to be the most helpful for my interview. If you are looking for even more ways to prepare for a successful Zoom interview, pre-plan and do some added research before your meeting. This way, you can feel confident and well-prepared for your next Zoom endeavor.