3 Things To Do During Lent

3 Things To Do During Lent

"Lent is a good times for sacrificing, Let us deny ourselves something every day to help others." -Pope Francis

9480
3 Things To Do During Lent

Growing up as a Catholic student, we always learned that when the Lenten season came around we had to either give up something or pick a good deed to do all of Lent. As kids we always did something like giving up chocolate but ended up trying to sneak it.

Once our teachers introduced that we didn’t have to give something up, we could make a goal for all of Lent, we began saying “Oh I will be nice to my siblings.”

As we get older we give up less and make more goals for ourselves to help others. To help motivate you to give something up or make a goal for yourself, here are just a few examples.

1. Give something up.

You should always try and give up something you don't need or something you always do, but isn't necessary. Whether it is junk food or your social media, giving up something that can help you take a step to living a more healthier life is always a good thing. You may be thinking how am I becoming healthier if it’s just forty days? But maybe once you get through those forty days you can continue it. In the long run it may help you a lot more than you think it will.

2. Attend mass and pray.

My favorite readings have always been during the Lenten season. If you're a Christmas Eve and Easter mass type of family, you should definitely focus on attending mass especially during the Lenten season. For some reason I have always believed that the readings during Lent have always spoke out more and really open your eyes. Set the goal to attend mass each weekend. Also say prayers throughout the day. It is so easy to send a prayer to God asking him to watch over you and your family, to bless those in need, and to just keep you healthy. Praying isn't hard. This Lent make it a goal to pray and attend mass more.

3. Set goals for yourself to help those in need.

Although you should always give and help those in need, the Lenten season is always a good time to get you started on it. Volunteer at soup kitchens, donate things you no longer use, and drive around and pass out food to the homeless. All of these things are very easy to do and you will 100% brighten their day. Many people think those who are homeless are scary and dangerous, but they are people just like we are, they just need a little help getting started.

During this season I hope you are able to put your full self into Lent. Stop saying "next year" and make it this year. It is never to late to pray or go to church, God is always there.