3 Things I Learned While Spending the Weekend in NYC.

3

1. People are generally nice

Everyone makes the assumption “New Yorkers are mean” and that New York is a city full of miserable people/workaholics. I hear it all the time from people who aren’t from the city or who haven't truly explored the city. Now when I spent the weekend traveling through New York I probably had one experience where someone was rude to me. The rest of the people were kind, accepting, and polite. Here’s the catch, most of the time, I was nice to them first. I told a woman her eyes were beautiful and complimented the jewelry she made, I talked to a man about his dog and how I grew up with the same breed, I said “please” and “thank you” everywhere I went. People seem to appreciate that. I had many good conversations with people due to my kindness and my openness to talking to new people. Tourists pour into the city from all around the world, and can be rude/look down on the people who actually live and work there. I think this is why sometimes they can come off as rude or stand offish. Us visitors need to be respectful and realizing we are visiting the home of millions of other people. Be kind, open, and accepting- and MOST of the time, people will be the same right back to you.

2. Brooklyn is amazing

First off, we all love food. And this is the place to get it. From Peruvian restaurants to Indian cuisine, to cute brunch diners, to cute cupcake shops and cafes. Any foodie will love Brooklyn. I have to say, I may or may not have eaten empanadas from the same Peruvian restaurant every night. Oops, they were SO good. Not everyone loves international cuisine and posting pictures of food to their Instagram, though. Many people like sharing art, landscapes, and of course, selfies. There’s plenty of space for that in Brooklyn, too. Brooklyn Bridge, Prospect Park, Williamsburg and DUMBO are all parts of this borough that photographers love. With art, stickers, beautiful people, and wonderful views all around, what could go wrong with that picture? Bottom line- Brooklyn is awesome, and everyone should go there at least once.

And finally...

3. New York pizza is definitely better

Even as a proud Bostonian, I will admit it- New York wins. Although Regina Pizzeria in the North End is nice, it doesn't beat Luigi’s in Brooklyn, or Filaga’s in Chelsea Market. New York’s pizza scene is amazing- and now I want pizza.

I always thought I wanted to live in New York someday, but these three things that I've learned on my trip definitely confirmed my desires. I suggest to everyone- visit New York, go off the beaten tourist path, and really explore. It's an amazing city.

See you soon, NYC.