3 Things That Happen Over Cowboy Christmas

The things in rodeo that drive us crazy!

4
Shea Conner

If you are involved in rodeo, you are on the road or have been on the road constantly because this is Cowboy Christmas. If you don't know what Cowboy Christmas is, it's the time around the Fourth of July where there are at least five rodeos to go to within the same week and there is more money added than any other time in the season. AKA, there are more contestants and more money to win! These three things come with the craziness of rodeo, but especially over Cowboy Christmas!

1. Throw the Phone at a Wall

This is always the first thing to happen, even if you haven't physically done it, you've thought about it! The call-ins for rodeos sometimes take a brutally long amount of time because everyone wants to get the right day and time to travel their track just right. The Fourth of July run is terrible because everyone calls. I remember calling for hours with my entire family and yes I have thrown my phone...multiple times.

2. Road Rage

Let's face it, we all drive hours upon hours to hit as many rodeos as we can because that's what we do. We have this urge that keeps us going, but driving there is a major pain considering all the rodeos aren't in one area. Some people even try to hit two in one night. So, yes, you will run into that person going five miles-per-hour under the speed limit (I mean seriously? We have places to be!) and the ignorant person who stops too fast. (Don't they know that a trailer takes double the time to stop?) So even though these people make it impossible not to yell some unkind words in the car, travel safe!

3. Getting Sick of Fast Food and Hauling Partners

Unless you have a large fridge inside of your trailer, you are eating at least half of your meals at restaurants or fast food places. So by the end of the week, you are sick of paying for and eating fast food. Trying to keep peace in a small area is hard. I travel with my family and going one weekend without fighting is a miracle much less five days. Especially if someone is having a hard time in the arena. We all love and support each other, but sometimes being in a trailer for a week drives us a little crazy.

At the end of a long week of rodeo there are two feelings: extremely happy to be home and sad a vacation of rodeos has ended. The atmosphere of rodeos and the high of competition is addicting! If you think about rodeo logically, it makes no sense. But if you ask a dedicated rodeo competitor, there is no question about what they're doing. It's their way of life! The sport of rodeo is a sport of faith that makes us all a big family and community of friends. Even though all of these things drive us crazy, this is what we love to do! So I hope Cowboy Christmas didn't drive you too crazy!