3 Things An Only Child Would Understand

3 Things An Only Child Would Understand

No siblings? No problem.

16
3 Things An Only Child Would Understand
Jeniffer Araújo

I will just start out by saying that I really like being an only child. Granted, I do have an incredible family/friend support system, being an only child comes with its perks. Of course, being an only child is not always rainbows and sunshine. While there is a stereotype that only children are spoiled and selfish, as one myself, I can say that is not true for me. The one thing I will say, however, is only children get each other. Here's why:

1. We get along with adults very well

My theory is this is because we don't live with people our own age, so we communicate with our parents very often; at least I do. I've personally been very comfortable around adults which has benefited me in terms of my relationships with my family, my friends parents, my bosses and my teachers.

2. We love attention

Being an only child gives us a spotlight. Now I am not saying that we are selfish, because speaking on behalf of myself, I am very selfless. I'm just saying that since there is no one else who are your parents pride and joy, all the attention goes to you and then you crave it. Maybe that is why I was a theatre kid in high school. Look, I care about others, I put others before myself, but I have just grown up being very connected with people and very involved.

3. We hate conflict

Because there were never siblings to fight with when I got older, I never experienced confronting someone and never was really ever confronted about something until I got older. That definitely took a toll on my life as I have gotten older as I am sure many other only children can relate to.

Now, this by no means is true for all of the only children out there. I am just generalizing how I believe many only children are based on my own experience. I am sure every family dynamic is different and the relationships only children have with their friends and family is not the same as me. With that, I cannot say my experience relates to all. But, if you are an only child and you get me, nice to meet you.