3 Reasons Why It Isn't Taylor Swift That I Have A Problem With

But with the way media controls our lives

38

Since Taylor Swift has reemerged from her hiatus, social media feed everywhere have been blowing up with her name. While I don't have anything against her, I'm still not her biggest fan. And it isn't just the things she does or what is done to her, but also the fact that she represents issues that are widely accepted as the norm.

1. Media Portrayal

While you're on online, how many articles can you find that have a negative tone? Whether it be about the current political situation or the current state of celebrities, most articles about them have a negative tone. So while Taylor was leading up to her single, it was no surprise the internet was interested in her use of the snake. If you don't know what I'm talking about, please reference this article. Then with the release of all the new album information and the new videos, it has become clear that people only care about who this song is about.

I don't know if Taylor really should have released that song or made so many (alleged) digs at these people. Quite honestly I don't care. What has interested me is the fixation of the negative things. Because it is almost as if there isn't enough negative around us that is shared in various forms. From news and radio opinions, there is an overload of the insistence of sharing what one thinks, especially if it's negative.

And this isn't at all helpful. Most people see the negative headlines and become more stressed. Other people let the negative things dictate their date, fully changing their mood and attitude. On top of that, we only get a one sided view of what's going on in the world. I'm not say that completely ignoring or not reporting the negative things is what we should do, but I think that making a conscious effort to include positive stories can make a positive impact in our day even if we think that we don't need it.

2. Jumping to Conclusions

Just like most of us, Taylor's fans immediately went looking for clues when she was just preparing the world for what was about to come. And let's be real, who hasn't done this?

Whether it be about what someone said, did, or posted, we all look for the meaning behind it. Usually we look back and question ourselves first and wonder what we did to prompt said action, but if we're honest we don't reflect hard enough. And then we just start digging in all sorts of places to figure out what the said action could possibly mean.

I am so guilty of this and I think it's a total waste of time. Instead of worrying of what the intentions of that person are, it's just better to move on. I know its easier said than done, but in the end the amount of time you spend trying to figure out why someone did something is the same amount of time you lose out on doing other important things.

3. Creating a Well-Curated Image

It's been interesting to watch Swift create a well curated image of herself over the years. Because despire the growing media attention (see number 1), she still manages to keep her social media representing who she is.

This is not too far off from the reality of everyone's Facebook and Instagram. Everyone now has an aesthetic and posts just the right amount of photos to keep people interested. But I think this strategy of making your online presence unique, lacks in the attempt to showcase who you are.

While a photo might show us you have a lot of friends, it's better for us to understand who you are just by looking at the people you talk to the most. Besides, don't they say that you act like the five people that are closest to you?

We have all been accustomed to think that our lives need to be documented and our character and personality will shine through. But the truth is that character is revealed in what we say and do when the cameras are off. When no one is looking and when you least expect it. And that's where we fall short because we don't let anyone see the B-roll.

With the way celebrities brand themselves and promote their causes, nothing is going to change. We have now shifted to a time and place where it is okay to make things about yourself even if it's not necessary. And the rest of the world has followed blindly along. If these problems don't bother you, that's fine. But if they do, making small shift in your immediate circle will do more than you can imagine.