Use These 3 Things The Next Time You Workout

You won't regret it.

48
Albany Crossfit

So you're well on your way towards your New Year's Resolution. You've been eating better, going to the gym, maybe you even hired a personal trainer. As you find your groove and get into the habit of a healthier lifestyle, you might start to wonder what you can do to boost your fitness to the next level.

But getting to that next level can inadvertently lead to injuries, and that's a setback no one wants. Often times an injury can set you back further than where you started from, and they can have repercussions throughout the rest of your daily life.

Trust me, I know.

So while you spend time working at turning those New Year's resolutions into permanent lifestyle changes, keep these three tools in mind and consider adding them to your daily routine so that you don't end up hurt at the beginning of the year like I was.

1. Foam Roller

A foam roller is an amazing tool for loosening up tense muscles before a workout and relaxing tired muscles at the end of one. Rolling your muscles before stretching is a great way to get the blood flowing and prepares you for a workout. Pictured are two offerings from the company Rumble Roller, and I personally recommend them as some of the best rollers I've ever used.

They're tough, durable, and the scary looking spikes really dig deep into your muscles. It's like a deep tissue massage right in your home. There are plenty of other brands and styles out there, but the durability, intensity, and quality of these rollers make them my go-to recommendation to anyone looking to start foam rolling.

2. Resistance Bands

Resistance bands are a great tool for both mobility and strength purposes. They can be used as the centerpiece for an entire workout, or utilized as great stretching and flexibility tools. I personally like to use them to stretch my shoulders before and after lifting.

There's a wide variety of different ways they can be used, and you can find bands in wildly varying resistances so there's the right one for your needs.

3. PVC Pipe

No, you didn't misread that. I really mean it. A PVC pipe, or any long stick really, is a fantastic stretching tool, especially for people worried about potential shoulder injuries. A quick YouTube search can show you a number of different ways a basic PVC pipe can be used before a workout to help loosen you up.

And if you don't have access to a PVC pipe, a regular broomstick works just as well. That's what I used for a long period of time at my old gym. It's one of the ways I've kept my shoulders healthy, even after years of heavy lifting and working out.

So there you have it. Three different often overlooked tools that can help keep you active and healthy through the New Year.