3 Most Haunted Places in the United States

Do you really know what goes bump in the night?

42

Let’s face it, everyone loves a good ghost story, but have you ever experienced something to where you thought that it could be real? Being scared is fun when you think monsters and whatever goes ‘bump’ in the night isn’t real, but would you have the same feeling if you felt that it WAS actually there?

I’m not saying I believe in ghosts or entities, but I grew up religious, so I do believe in angels and demons. Since that is as far as my supernatural knowledge will go, I have had some weird experiences in my lifetime. In this article, I have collected videos that have been on several news broadcasts that most people cannot explain, and I’ve included places that are claimed to be “haunted” that I have visited and well… I can say I do not disagree. Let’s take a look:

1. The New Mexico Police Station Ghost

This is one of my favorite videos of all time. The Youtube video created by Top5's depicts videos of what people believe to be paranormal sightings caught on video. My favorite that is featured out of all of them is the first one in the video, and this ghost was located in the Espanola police station in the state of New Mexico. This illogical experienced happened in 2014, and because no one was able to explain it, it was even featured on Action 7 News. Crazy? I think not.

Take a look at the video below to see the whole story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6IskD6mMak

The video was first recorded and noticed by an officer who was on duty, using the camera's surveillance system to monitor the police stations safety. In one of the areas, the officer thought that it was nothing more than an insect that moved in front of the camera, but as the video focused more he thought he saw LEGS walking.

Not wanting to endanger his comrades, the officer notifies his superior, where he followed suit and checked out the area that the 'legs' were seen. It was confirmed that there was no way in or out of this part of the station without an alarm sounding.

Could there be a restless entity haunting the Espanola police station? You decide.

Image from: skyvalleychronicle.com

2. Poogan's Porch Restaurant in Charleston, South Carolina

I visited this place during my senior trip in high school with one of my teachers who wanted to check out this haunted area.

Poogan's Porch is a very cute, quaint restaurant I always tell people to visit because for one, the food is absolutely delicious and two, you might get a chance to see the ghost of Miss Zoe in the bathroom upstairs there.

The history of Poogan's Porch is somewhat dark, starting with Zoe and her sister Elizabeth living in the infrastructure many years before it turned into a popular brunch spot. The two sisters were best friends, and preferred to keep to themselves rather than go out in the bustling city of Charleston. Unfortunately, Elizabeth died, and Zoe became even more reclusive and even fell into mental illnesses of depression and anxiety from the loss of her sister. One night, she was in the streets calling for her sister an was admitted into a mental ward, where she later died.

It is believed that Zoe's spirit haunts Poogan's Porch, still looking for her sister.

When I went to this restaurant, of course I wanted to see this ghost, but I didn't really believe in it. So, being the sarcastic person I am, I called out in the upstairs bathroom to Zoe, kind of playing on the fact that she did not exist.

Right after I used the toilet, my eyes started to itch. I proceeded to wash my hands and rinse my eyes, but as my face came back up to the mirror (that every bathroom holds), I could not help but see a glimpse of a woman in a black dress standing behind me. As soon as I saw it, it disappeared just as fast.

Even though I dismissed this event as psyching myself out into seeing things, I couldn't help but notice a feeling of extreme dread and coldness present in that bathroom.

Here's a link where you can read more about Poogan's Porch, and if you would like to visit: https://ghostcitytours.com/charleston/haunted-plac...

Image taken from: www.onesixtyke.com

3. The Road to Nowhere in Bryson City, NC

The history of the Road to Nowhere is a long and depressing story, starting with a dam that was to be built in the area. Communities suffered from the construction of the dam, and part of the deal was to build an access road that cut through the mountains and would connect Bryson City and Deals Gap for easier travel access.

People were moved from their homes, some were left homeless, and even though this construction started in the 1940's (during WWII- when steel and other metals were needed), only a small part of the road was built 30 years later. No one knows why the construction was never finished, but the Government still owes the community/communities millions of dollars in compensation.

I had a personal experience here; while walking one night through the tunnel with friends, we reach the other side to see a beautiful starry sky and nature all around us. As I looked back at the tunnel we just came through, we all see what appears to be an iPhone (or some mobile phone) flashlight shining at the entrance. Of course, I was thinking it was a fellow student there to meet us (we were expecting others) and I call out. As soon as I call out the light disappears, and I become a little freaked out, which makes one of my friends shine his Mag light at the tunnel. With this powerful flashlight, we see that there is no one near the tunnel, and there is no one in it (the flashlight was powerful enough to see a couple of feet inside).

Knowing that this was weird, and growing up in a family that works in the judicial system, my mind immediately goes to the thought of this being another human trying to hurt us. I quickly tell all my friends that we need to leave, and we reluctantly start back at the tunnel to go back to our cars that sit on the other side.

We make it through the tunnel just fine, but as I'm walking faster to my car, my friends tell me to look back at the entrance to the tunnel. Again, there was the same small light that had appeared just like before.

Well, I can tell you I got the heck out of dodge and we left. To this day I cannot explain what happened at The Road to Nowhere, but maybe you can go visit and see if something happens to you too. Here's a link where you can read more on the history and research paranormal sightings there:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-road-to-now...

Image from: i.ytimg.com

I'll definitely be writing more about different haunted places, and I'll probably make this a line of articles as I do more research and visit more places. Stay tuned!