It's not as hard as you may think.

3 Misconceptions About Living a Vegan Lifestyle

It may not be as hard as you think.

25
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0TmpNlHBaM/

In a society so focused on fad-diets & health, you've probably come across the term "vegan" or "plant-based" a few times. Essentially, a vegan diet restricts any food, drink, or ingredient that comes from an animal. Many people do it for ethical reasons, for health reasons, because their friends are doing it, or to lose weight. No matter your intentions, it's always a good idea to put yourself first and try new things. Everyone's experience with a vegan diet is different, but here's what happened to me after just one week of being vegan.

First, many critics assume it's nearly impossible to live sustainably without animal products (I know I did). However, my perception changed completely. I thought, "Everything is made from animals" and "I'm gonna want some meat just after a few days". However, that was far from the case. After doing my research and looking into the production of milk, chicken, eggs, honey, beef, etc., it actually made me feel sick. I've never really been a person who was super passionate about environmentalism or animal cruelty, but when I decided to look into what was going into my everyday meals, it was very eye-opening. Even if you do believe animals were created to provide for humans, you can't deny their treatment and captivity is unacceptably evil.

Second, your wallet won't be as drained as you think. Many people go to the grocery and stray away from vegan products because they instantly assume that they will be more expensive. Not necessarily. For example: at Target, a gallon of Prairie Farms 2% milk is $4.19, whereas a gallon of Almond Breeze almond milk is $4.79. The same goes for proteins: a 12 oz bag of chicken strips is $7.99 and a 12 oz brick of tofu is just $1.79! If you choose to spend a lot on your vegan choices, yeah, it will add up. However, it possible to even save money with this dietary change!

Third, there is a stigma that vegan meals are bland and/or consist of only leaves a branches. Wrong! There is such thing as vegan cheese, vegan ice cream, vegan burgers, vegan chocolate, etc. Would you believe me if I told you that these photos contain dishes that are purely vegan? Well, they do!

Now, it's ultimately up to you to choose what you put inside your body. Maybe you do one day a week vegan, one meal a day, or full-on vegan altogether. Even the smallest of changes will add up and make a difference. You can do it!