3 Homemade Body Scrubs To Soothe Dry Skin

Dry, flaky, overly tight skin can be really embarrassing. It prevents you from wearing your favorite summer dresses or crop tops.

1073
Pexels.com

Body scrubs aim to smooth out your skin, leaving it supple with a healthy glow. However, when you suffer from dry skin, the wrong scrubs can further agitate it. The wrong kind of body scrubs on dry skin can lead to over-exfoliation, which causes the skin to become inflamed, look flaky, patchy and tight.

When you suffer from dry skin you need to pay special attention to the types of exfoliators you’re using. Dry brushing is a big no-no for those with dry skin. Even certain loofahs and washcloths can be too harsh at times; sponges are a much better option.

For skin that is way too sensitive, rubbing it with a different surface could worsen the condition. To treat such skin, use non-chemical scrubs that you gently rub onto your skin in a circular motion that will rub off the buildup of dead skin cells, leaving the skin smooth with a subtle glow.

Scrubs with chemicals can irritate the skin so people with dry skin are advised to make their own scrubs at home with simple ingredients found around the house.

Here are some scrubs that you can make in your houses that will leave your skin feeling smooth and hydrated.

• Coffee and Olive Oil Scrub

Coffee scrubs are great for many reasons. Compared to other scrubs they are gentle on your skin as the granules are much softer. Secondly, coffee scrubs have an edge over other scrubs because they can reduce the appearance of cellulite. When you’re working so hard to get in shape for beach season but you’re conscious of the visible cellulite then make coffee scrubs your best friend. Lastly, using coffee as a body scrub will leave a subtle fragrance on your skin.

Ingredients:

• ¼ cup of ground coffee
  • ¼ cup of sugar
  • 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 capsules of vitamin E

Slit the vitamin E capsules to release the oil and mix it with the rest of the ingredients to form a paste. You add a spoon of almond or coconut if you desire, sea salt works well too.

Rub the paste over your entire body with moderate intensity in a circular motion. Rub the paste on your body until you start feeling difference into your skin. It should feel silky and smooth. Don’t rub for more than 30 seconds. Wash the paste off with lukewarm water moisturizing body wash. Step out of the shower and moisturize generously with lotion.

• Lemon and honey scrub

Lemon is known to brighten dull skin and clear your complexion which is what makes it so great in this scrub. Honey isn’t just loaded with moisture it also retains moisture, a property most products will have.

Ingredients:

• 3-4 tablespoons honey
  • 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2-3 tablespoons sugar (for a more solid consistency)

Mix all the ingredients to make a paste, gently rub it into your skin in a circular motion. The sugar will provide with the scrubbing effect needed to clear up dead skin cells.

• Sugar and Almond Oil Scrub

Almond oil is one of the best sources of vitamin E. It helps lighten scars, clears your complexion while providing it with moisture. When you combine it with the rest of the ingredients in the scrub, it eases the intensity of the abrasion caused by the sugar.

Ingredients:

• ½ a cup of sugar
  • 2-3 tablespoons of almond oil

Mix everything together to get a paste. Rub the paste everywhere on your body softly to rid yourself of dead cells and other impurities you may have. The scrub will also open up pores and reduce any ingrown hairs you may have.

If your skin starts peeling easily, then dissolve the sugar in more oil. Don’t forget to use a good moisturizer once you are done.