3 Facts to Know about Setting Up Legal DUI Defense

When you are arrested for driving under the influence, or DUI, it is naturally a frightening experience. The consequences can be severe, which makes it crucial that you understand how to set up a DUI legal defense.

81558
Setting Up a Legal DUI Defense

1. Hire an Experienced DUI Attorney

The most important step you can take toward building a DUI legal defense is to work with an experienced attorney. Not all attorneys have experience in handling DUI cases, so it is important that you find an attorney with the necessary skills. This means working with an attorney who has specific experience in handling such cases and can turn your DUI case into an acquittal.

Keep in mind that time is crucial when handling DUI cases. Valuable evidence may be lost over the passage of time. For this reason, it is imperative that you do not delay in hiring an experienced attorney who can work with you to build a successful defense.

2. Supply Necessary Evidence to Build a Successful Defense

Your attorney will have the best possible chance at achieving an acquittal on your behalf if you supply as much help and as many details as possible. When you first meet with your attorney, be sure to bring any paperwork related to your arrest. This could include police reports as well as any citations, court information, bonding paperwork, or anything else related to your arrest, including any breath tests.

You should also provide as much information as you can regarding the description of events that led to your arrest. Your attorney will need to know what you were doing prior to the arrest, including whether you were drinking and if so, the type of alcohol you consumed and how much. In the event you were not drinking, you should discuss any medications, prescription or over-the-counter, that you may have taken.

Be prepared to discuss what occurred during the traffic stop. For instance, was a field sobriety test administered? Were your rights explained to you? How was the field sobriety test conducted? Did you agree to any other types of tests, such as a breath test or blood test?

Try to recall as much detail as you can regarding any statements made between you and the police. This applies to events both before the arrest as well as after the arrest.

Make a point of keeping any possible physical evidence, which includes potential damage to your vehicle. At the very least, you should video or photograph your vehicle in the event of a collision to ensure any evidence that could be potentially beneficial to your defense is not lost.

3. Working with Your Attorney to Build a DUI Defense

Your attorney may use a variety of information to help build a DUI defense and obtain an acquittal. This could include using the services of a private investigator, toxicologist, medical professional, and others. Your attorney will analyze every possible detail from the events surrounding your DUI arrest to build the best possible strategy. While this can be a harrowing experience, it is important that you work with your attorney during each step of the process. Doing so will help you and your attorney build an effective defense.

If you have been charged with DUI and need help building a successful defense, call upon an attorney with specific experience in handling DUI cases.