3 Easy Tricks For a Great Night's Sleep

3 Easy Tricks For a Great Night's Sleep

No hard effort required

195
3 Easy Tricks For a Great Night's Sleep
Burst

Sleep is not only super important but incredibly enjoyable. There are many ways you can improve it, from getting your hands on the best-rated mattress for 2017 to meticulously wrapping yourself in a blanket exactly 8 hours before you have to be up and counting sheep. Therese, however, can be tough, so I've turned to exploring lesser-known sleep-improving techniques.

As someone who dances salsa till 2 am every night and has to be up and running for work in the morning, I've taken been experimenting with ways to relax better for a while. Here are my best 3 tricks for getting a great night's sleep that doesn't require any medication, gadgets or hard effort.

1. Philosophical Meditation

Before you get all intimidated and tell me that you suck at meditation, this is not the type you're thinking about. Philosophical meditation is a method that lets you destress big time. You don't need to be sitting in any particular position or changing your breathing.

photo by Freestockpro

Step one - get comfortable. I like to sit on my couch under a fuzzy blanket.

Step two - get a notebook and a pen.

Step three - write down all the things you're anxious about. This can be anything small from "I didn't like how my mom asked me why I'm 25 and still single on the phone today," to "I bought three pairs of shoes that I didn't need and now I have to live off of Ramen for the rest of the week."

Getting the anxiety out of your head and on paper is incredibly helpful. Think of it as unloading all the negativity and locking it into the notebook.

Secondly, talk about the things or people who have hurt you. I find myself writing things like: "Why did this guy stop texting me? He pursued me for weeks before I agreed to go out with him and now it's as if he doesn't know me." Being super honest about the things that truly bother you can be extremely satisfying and will ease your mind big time.

Finally, and this is my favorite, write down everything you're excited about. It could be apple picking, Christmas shopping, going on a date with that guy you met on the subway. The key here is to mention even the smallest things, like eating a warm slice of apple pie on a cold November evening and move up to things that have to do with your job and love life.

Going through these three steps of emptying my mind in a notebook and being honest with myself helps me sleep like a baby. Meditation is always a great way to end the day. Give it a shot.

2. Incense

I used to be kind of weirded out by incense, thinking that it was some hippie crap. That was before my roommate introduced me to the wonderful world of lavender, aloe and strawberry scent. There's nothing better than lighting incense on a cold evening to create the ultimate cozy feel in your room.

Picture this: you're relaxing into the best mattress while inhaling the warm scent of lavender. It feels like you've ascended to a cloud. You won't even have to count sheep. Another upside of incense is that it's really cheap, so you can stock up for the month for less than $20. Plus, you can carry it with you when you travel and create a sense of home that will help you fall asleep in even the dullest hotel room.

photo by FreeStocks

3. Tea Infusions

I've never been a big tea drinker. I need that sweet caffeine in the morning to make me a fully-functioning human being. At first, I was skeptical about tea infusions but once I found myself dozing off while sipping on a cup of chocolate tea with herbs, I realized I was on to something.

Not only are flavors like forest fruits, mixed herbs, and chai with milk delicious, but the process of having a cup of tea is extremely relaxing in itself.The repetitive action of bringing the cup to your lips and the warmth that your hand physically holds on to, lead you straight to sleepiness. Add a few pieces of ginger and lemon, and you're all set.

So there you have it, three easy tricks to get a great night's sleep without having to exhaust yourself at the gym or take a handful of pills. Relax, meditate and get ready to recharge big time.