Why 2:00 a.m. Means "I Love You"

Why 2:00 a.m. Means "I Love You"

If it's on your mind at this hour, then it's in your heart, too.

405
Why 2:00 a.m. Means "I Love You"
Megan Rohn

2:00 a.m. is when my brain runs circles around itself. It's when those things I care about most in life just keep floating around in my mind. If I'm thinking about you at 2 a.m., it's because I literally can't stop - I care about you so much that my mind just has to dwell on you for a bit longer. Allow me to explain. 2 a.m. is when I...

Write my stand-up comedy routines. As much as I've forgotten this lately, making people laugh is what gives me a purpose in life. I love cheering people up with tales about my own awkwardness. Usually, around 2, my best jokes condense in my head and I have to jump out of bed and type them up before they're lost.

Write letters to my best friends across the country. For some reason, I get REALLY sappy when I write cards, and the later after midnight it is, the sappier I become. That's the way I tell you I love you - I write you some gooey card in the middle of the night because, well, I really do miss you so much that I can't go to bed until I tell you just how much I miss you.

Think of cool gifts to bring home from college for my family. I go to school 2,100 miles from my parents, but I don't want them to think I don't think about them every day. 2 a.m. is the perfect time to scour local bookstores' websites for some obscure wine tasting guide for my dad, just because I know he would love it, and I love him.

Plan out exciting events that I know my classmates would love. OH MY GOSH there's this open mic that I want to host, or this party I want to plan, or this speaker I want to bring to school and I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT IT that I have to make an even page on Facebook RIGHT NOW and invite all 381 people even though it's 2 a.m. and I should be asleep!!

Cook overly-complicated and overly-delicious deserts. I really love chocolate. I love it so much, and I love cooking so much, that if I'm at home and the oven is available, you bet you're bottom dollar I'm gonna throw some kind of chocolate delicacy together. Even if I'm cooking at 2 in the morning like a maniac and I forget that you can't put metal in the microwave and I start a small fire (what? no, no, of COURSE I'm not speaking from experience...)

Give thanks for all the blessings in my life. I don't know if I'm Catholic or Jewish or theist but I know God's up there and he's looked out for me these 19 years. Sometimes I just get so excited about all the cool things in my life that I have to stay up at 2 in the morning and tell him thanks, just to make sure he knows I appreciate him.

So, call me crazy, but if you're on my mind at 2 a.m., then you're in my heart, too.