Tropes And Clichés Are Not Overdone

27 Underrated Tropes That Should Be More Popular

What a cliché!

8009

Clichés and tropes, huh? No matter how much we pretend that they're overdone and useless, the reality is that the reason clichés and tropes occur over and over again in fiction is because they're entertaining—because no matter how many versions of one trope exist in the universe, there will always be another way to tell the story.

But let's turn our attention, shall we? Here are a handful of tropes/scenarios/clichés in fiction that I would certainly love to see more of!

1. Enemies with benefits

2. Assumed-unrequited-but-really-requited love

3. Character A is in love with Character B who is murderer/assassin/serial killer

Uhhh... sidenote? This one is a bit hit-or-miss. When I think of this trope, I think of "Killing Eve," which does a good job of balancing the toxic aspect this trope presents with the potential relationship. Obviously, there is a very fine line with this, but when it is done well, the end product is quite enjoyable.

4. Found family

5. Soulmates from birth

6. Fake married

7. Power couple

8. Character A admitting their feelings for the love interest while asleep/sick/drunk

9. Character A fiercely hugs Character B who is shocked for a split second before returning the gesture

10. There are two beds, but the main characters still share one

11. Same height pairings

12. Intimate hair brushing

13. Platonic kissing

14. Evil former friend

15. Fallback marriage pact

16. Accidental hug

17. Can't live with them, can't live without them

18. Super family team

19. Wacky parent, serious child

20. Exhaustion faint

21. Headbutt thermometer

22. Motivational kiss

23. Not blood siblings

24. Romance-inducing smudge

25. Second love

26. Undercover as lovers

27. Character A is injured but doesn't let any of the characters know until they're in a safe place and Character A passes out

These are just a few of many tropes I'd love to see more in fiction! If you wish to fall down the rabbit hole of tropes and clichés, I'd suggest checking out tvtropes.org which has an abundance of popular ones to study and entertain yourself with.