Breaking the ice and starting a conversation with someone new is truly a nightmare. It's like that for everyone. Yes, including those social butterflies who seem to find something in common with everyone they meet.
Well, luckily for you, your troubles have come to an end. After you read this, there will be no more awkward silences, tongue-twisting, or blushing whenever you're talking with someone you don't know much about.
Here is the ultimate list of good questions to ask to get to know someone. Use them wisely and let people admire your communication skills.
It doesn't matter if you're getting to know a potential boyfriend/girlfriend, a new friend, or a coworker – these great questions to ask someone to get to know them will help you find out more about them. Some of them are quite personal but don't worry, I'm sure they'll be happy to answer them.
1. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Who would you want to live with?
2. Who is the one person you admire in life?
3. What is your favorite childhood memory?
4. What is the one thing that can make you angry at any time?
5. What is the one thing that can make you smile any time?
6. What is your biggest motivation in life?
7. What is your biggest fear? What was the scariest moment of your life?
8. What is your favorite food?
9. What is your favorite clothing item?
10. What is the last book you read?
11. What is your favorite TV show?
12. What is your life motto – spoken or unspoken?
13. What celebrity would you like to randomly bump into?
14. Who was your childhood best friend? Are you still in touch?
15. What is your favorite animal? Do you have any pets?
16. If you wrote a novel about your life, what would be the title?
17. What song best describes your life?
18. When did you have the best time of your life?
19. What type of music do you listen to?
20. If you made a movie about your life, who would you want to play you?
21. What's your favorite holiday?
22. What's your favorite family tradition?
23. Are you close to your family?
24. Who do you love more – your mom or your dad?
25. Do you consider yourself to be an optimist or a pessimist?
26. What makes you depressed? When was the last time you were really sad? What was it about?
27. Do you know how to cook? What's your favorite meal to prepare?
28. Who was your favorite childhood superhero?
29. What's your favorite movie? Why?
30. What's your favorite song? Do you like it because of the music or because of the lyrics?
31. What's your favorite book? What is it about?
32. Can you picture yourself spending the rest of your life with only one person?
33. Who would you take with you on a deserted island? What are the five items you would take with you?
34. Who knows you better than anyone else? Is it your best friend or a family member?
35. What's your favorite thing about your life?
36. Do you believe in soulmates?
37. How do you usually spoil yourself?
38. If you could wake up as one fictional character, who would it be?
39. What would a 15-year old version of you think of the person you've become?
40. What do you think you'll be like once you retire and grow old?
These fun questions are so embarrassing that no one would probably want to answer them. But if you do get all the answers, I promise you a good laugh.
In fact, maybe the best chance of using them is as truth or dare questions – that way, nobody can avoid them.
1. Are you scared of monsters under your bed?
2. What's the silliest way you injured yourself?
3. What is the most embarrassing song you actually like very much?
4. What's your most awkward personality trait?
5. What was the silliest thing you did as a child?
6. What was the dumbest thing you did in life?
7. What is your most embarrassing fear?
8. What's your most embarrassing nickname?
9. If you were a food, what would you be?
10. What was the situation where you were the clumsiest?
11. If you had to sleep with one person in this room, who would it be?
12. What is the sexiest thing about me?
13. What are the last ten things in your search history?
14. How many people have you slept with?
15. What was the worst thing you did while drunk?
These personal questions are for when you want to find out more about the person sitting next to you. They will tell you a lot about them, and they will help you avoid that awkward silence we all hate.
1. Where do you work? What exactly do you do at your job?
2. Who was your childhood crush?
3. What is your dream job?
4. What was your favorite school subject?
5. What is your favorite color?
6. Who was your favorite school teacher? Why do you remember them?
7. Who is your best friend? How long have you known them? What makes them so special?
8. Do you have a hobby? What is it?
9. What do you usually do in your free time?
10. What is your hidden talent?
11. What is the one thing you wished you learned to do but never had the chance?
12. What is your favorite sport?
13. Who is your favorite sports player?
14. What was the last TV show you binge-watched? How many seasons did it have? How much time did you spend watching it?
15. What's your guilty pleasure?
16. Do you have any pet peeves?
17. If you had to choose to be one animal, which one would you be?
18. What is the one thing you couldn't imagine your life without?
19. What or who calms you right away, no matter how nervous or anxious you are?
20. Who is the best person you know?
21. What's the funniest joke you've ever heard?
22. What is your ideal birthday party?
23. What is your favorite season? Why?
24. Do you believe in first impressions? Did you ever meet someone you didn't like at first but later changed your mind?
25. Do you believe in intuition? What was a situation where your intuition saved you? What was a situation where it deceived you?
26. What social media platform do you use the most?
27. What is the phone app you use the most?
28. What's your favorite social game?
29. How did you earn your first paycheck? What was your first job?
30. Do you consider yourself ambitious? What's your biggest achievement in work so far?
31. What is the last thing you do before you go to sleep?
32. What is the best gift you got from a loved one? What is the best gift you bought a loved one?
33. Who was the scariest person in your life? Why?
34. If you woke up as a person of the opposite sex, what would be the first thing you'd do?
35. Regardless of your age, how old do you actually feel?
36. When was the last time you did something nice for yourself? What was it?
37. Do you believe that we should respect the law, no questions asked?
38. Where could you never imagine yourself living?
39. What's your wildest dream?
40. If you could find a cure for one disease only, what disease would that be?
It doesn't matter how long you and your partner have been together – there are always things you're curious about and things you've been dying to ask them. Well, here is your chance – surprise them with these interesting questions and give them a night to remember.
1. What was the first thing that came to your mind when you met me?
2. When exactly did you start to like me?
3. When exactly did you start to fall in love with me?
4. When exactly did you grow to love me?
5. What is the thing that turns you on about my body the most?
6. What is the thing you like about my character the most?
7. What is the one thing you would change about my looks and personality if you had the chance?
8. What is your favorite part of our relationship?
9. What is the one thing you don't like about our relationship?
10. Which one of our dates did you enjoy the most?
11. Were you nervous before we went out for the first time?
12. What is your dream date?
13. What is the one thing that makes you happiest about me?
14. If you could describe me in one word, what would it be?
15. If you had to describe our relationship in one word, what would it be?
16. What's your favorite memory of us as a couple?
17. Where's your favorite place to spend time with me?
18. What's your favorite activity to do with me?
19. What made you fall in love with me?
20. Do you think I love you more or that you're the one who loves me more?
21. What is the one thing that would make you leave me?
22. If we broke up, what would you miss the most about me?
23. Where is a place you would like to visit with me?
24. What is the one thing you've always wanted to ask me, but you were always afraid of the answer?
25. Do you see a future with me? How do you see us ten years from now?
26. What habit of mine bothers you the most?
27. What's your favorite way to get affection from me?
28. What is the one thing you would never do because of me, even if it meant the end of our relationship?
29. What do you think is our biggest difference?
30. What do you think our biggest similarity is?
It's time for the heavy artillery – time to ask some deep questions. Each of these questions will help you dig under the surface and discover what's really hidden inside the person you're talking to.
Of course, you have to be careful about these deep questions, and you can't expect everyone to give you all the answers. They're great if you really want to get to know someone but beware that you'll probably have to answer them as well if the other person wants to get to know you.
1. What's your darkest secret?
2. What is the one thing you would change about yourself if you had the chance?
3. What's the craziest thing you've done in life?
4. If you won the lottery, what's the first thing you would do with the money?
5. When was the last time you were truly happy? Why?
6. Do you have any phobias? What are they?
7. What does your perfect day look like?
8. What are the top ten things on your bucket list?
9. Have you ever lost someone you cared for deeply? How did it make you feel?
10. What event in your life changed you the most?
11. Would you ever change to please someone?
12. What was the saddest thing you have experienced so far?
13. What was the happiest moment of your life?
14. What was the most embarrassing moment in your life?
15. If you suddenly become the ruler of the world, what are the first three things you would change about it?
16. What is the thing that helps you get out of bed in the morning?
17. What do you despise about humanity the most?
18. Are you religious or spiritual? Do you believe in destiny?
19. When did you feel the proudest of yourself in life?
20. What challenges you the most?
21. What are three things you don't like about yourself?
22. What are three things you love about yourself?
23. What is your biggest regret?
24. When did you hurt someone the most? Did you apologize? Did you try to make things right?
25. What is the one prejudice you have of people that you would like to get rid of?
26. If you got a visit from a genie in a bottle, what three wishes would you ask him to grant you?
27. Would you rather be the most intelligent person in the world or the most beautiful person in the world?
28. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
29. What piece of advice would you give your younger self?
30. If you were a ghost, who is the first person you'd haunt?
31. What would you do if you were adopted? What if just one of your parents wasn't your biological mom or dad?
32. Would you rather go back to the past to change some things or take a leap into your unknown future?
33. If someone handed you the book of your life, would you read the ending?
34. Who is the person whose advice you would always listen to, without thinking twice?
35. What is something you only did once and don't plan on repeating?
Welcome to the ultimate icebreaker questions. They're funny, witty, and you can use them as conversation starters – as an intro for getting to know someone for real.
1. Which celebrity would you like to be best friends with?
2. What did you dream about last night?
3. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
4. Who is your most dialed contact?
5. What is the silliest thing you do when no one is watching?
6. What is the song you enjoy driving to the most?
7. If you had to pick one tattoo, what would it be?
8. Would you rather spend a month without your phone or half a year without chocolate or cake?
9. What is the one animal that scares you the most?
10. What is your biggest superstition?
11. What's the scariest nightmare you ever had?
12. What's your favorite conversation topic?
13. What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you open your eyes in the morning?
14. What is the thing that gets on your nerves about people?
15. What's your favorite movie line?
What do you ask a guy to get to know him? What are some good questions to impress him?
This is something every girl in the world has wondered at least once.
You don't want to seem too pushy, but at the same time, you want to show him that you're interested. Here is the ultimate list of the most interesting questions that will help you break the ice!
1. When did you have your last serious girlfriend?
2. Who was your first love?
3. Where would you take me out on a first date?
4. How long does it take you to fall in love?
5. Where do you see yourself five years from now?
6. What's the most romantic thing you did for a girl you liked?
7. What does your ideal girlfriend look like?
8. How does your ideal girlfriend behave?
9. What's the first thing you look for in a girl?
10. What's your biggest relationship deal-breaker?
11. Do you usually stay friends with your exes?
12. How long did your longest relationship last?
13. When did you have your first kiss? Who was it with?
14. When did you have your first serious relationship?
15. What kind of a girl would you never fall in love with?
16. What's most important to you in a girl: her brains, her personality, or her looks?
17. Do you ever plan on getting married?
18. Did you ever break a girl's heart?
19. What do you consider cheating? Is it just physical, or can it be texting, flirting, and dating apps?
20. What do you think about the age difference between partners? How old were your youngest and oldest girlfriends?
Looking for flirty questions to ask a girl you like? You've come to the right place because these follow-up questions won't only serve as perfect conversation starters – they'll also get her thinking.
1. What do you think about online dating apps? Do you have any online dating profiles? Have you ever met a guy on online dating?
2. What do you think about blind dates? Would you ever let your best friend set you up on a date with someone you've never met before?
3. When did you have your most painful heartbreak? How did you heal?
4. What was the longest period of time you spent missing an ex-boyfriend?
5. What is the one thing you would never tolerate in a relationship?
6. What type of guy would you never even give a chance?
7. What is the cheesiest pick-up line you've ever gotten? What about the sweetest and most original?
8. What is the most romantic thing a guy did for you?
9. What is your love language?
10. Do you have a habit of playing hard to get, or do you put all your cards on the table right away?
11. Do you believe in love at first sight? Have you ever experienced it?
12. How long do you think a crush can last?
13. Do you kiss on the first date?
14. What would you think if you met a player? Would you think you could change him, or would you walk away instantly?
15. What is the one thing that turns you on the most in men?
16. What is the one thing you like about me the most? What was the first thing that attracted you to me?
17. Who is your dream guy?
18. What would you want the father of your children to be like?
19. What makes you blush?
20. What would you say if I asked you out right now?
If you run out of topics, the good old 'this or that' questions game is always there to the rescue. When you play it, you can ask the other person practically anything, and here are some of the best ideas:
1. The gym or the outdoors?
2. Black or white?
3. Day or night?
4. Ocean or mountain?
5. Candlelit dinner or night at the club?
6. Dogs or cats?
7. Sunrise or sunset?
8. Coffee or tea?
9. Juice or alcohol?
10. TV or phone?
11. Books or social media?
12. Fast food or home-cooked meals?
13. Motorcycle or bicycle?
14. Walking or driving a car?
15. Sunbathing or swimming?
16. TV shows or movies?
17. Pop or rock?
18. House or apartment?
19. City rush or country peace?
20. Fancy or casual?
21. Summer or winter?
22. Saturday or Sunday?
23. Introvert or extrovert?
24. Instagram or Twitter?
25. iOS or Android?
26. Huge party or a small gathering with your closest friends?
27. Long bath or quick shower?
28. Coke or Pepsi?
29. Deep conversation or small talk?
30. Fruit or vegetables?
31. Chocolate or ice cream?
32. Cake or meat?
33. Overthinking or being spontaneous?
34. Loud or quiet?
35. Physical or mental work?
When you're deciding what questions to ask to get to know someone, don't forget to be wise and considerate. I know that you want some answers but always pay attention to the other person's reaction.
Are they comfortable with the questions you're asking them? Or are they doing their best to avoid answering?
In the latter case, see it as a sign that your deep questions might be too much and pick a lighter topic.
Besides, every successful conversation is a two-way street. There is no point in trying to get to know them if they don't want to get to know you.
So, if you see that the other person is not putting any effort into finding out more about you and showing no interest in you as a person, don't invest any more energy into keeping the conversation alive!
Having trouble breaking the ice and starting the conversation? Read on to find the best questions to ask to get to know someone.