So you're from Michigan? Well, I'm sure you can agree with me, here are 25 reasons we have a "complicated" relationship with our home state.
1. Road construction never ends.
2. But our roads lead to some of the most beautiful destinations in the country. I mean how much better can you get with lakes at every turn?
3. We have four seasons.
4. But they are all so beautiful and each has their own special characteristics.
5. I mean how much better can you get than the beautiful fall leaves? They make for great backgrounds for wedding photos or senior pictures too.
6. Our produce is phenomenal and we can grow just about anything imaginable with over 300 commodities locally grown.
7. And each agricultural product has its own festival which means carnival rides, greasy food, and lots of fun.
8. Winters are so cold.
9. But winter sports are so fun. Where else can you go snowmobiling, skiing, snowboarding, and ice fishing all within a few miles of your home?
10. Plus our summer months are filled with warm weather, sunny skies, and beautiful lakes.
11. We can go from snowmobiling one month to swimming and jet skiing a few months later.
12. Not only do we have huge lakes but waterfalls, islands, and mountains too.
13. We don't need maps, we have our hands instead.
14. We also brew some of the best beers in the country, I mean something has to get us through the winter months, right?
15. We have a complicated relationship with the tourists. I mean they keep us employed, but then again, can they drive any faster?
16. I understand though, who wouldn't want to see Bronner's, the World's Largest Christmas store open year-round?
17. The rivalry between Michigan and Michigan State is real.
18. But in all honesty, they are just two out of all the amazing universities Michigan has to offer.
19. We have some run-down cities and towns.
20. But we have such an array of culture that it makes up for it. Like seriously Madonna and Stevie Wonder were born here.
21. Oh, and we have Superman ice cream, Mackinaw Island Fudge, and Faygo pop. Seriously, it doesn't get any better.
22. We are home to huge companies such as General Motors, Dow, Kellog's, and Gerber.
23. Pop bottles are a big deal, but I mean can you blame us? We get 10 cents for every single one.
24. Our sports teams may not always be the best, but we are their number one fans.
25. Although some days you may hate our state, you still know deep down that you wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Cover Image Credit: Unsplash