25 Reasons Why Dan Howell Can Be My Role Model

Notice me senpai.

1033
lilyakkuma (Tumblr)

I've never had a role model. If I told you I had one, I probably lied to not make things socially awkward. The closest person to being my role model is Dan Howell. For those who don't already know, Dan Howell (AKA danisnotonfire) is a British Youtube content creator. He also published a book, The Amazing Book is Not on Fire, with another Youtuber named Phil Lester (AKA AmazingPhil). Here are twenty-five reasons, twenty-five specifically matching his 25th birthday on June 11th, as to why Dan Howell can be my role model.

1. His wardrobe of darkness

In his "get ready" video, Dan literally asked himself "Do I look depressing enough?" As someone who dresses like the Grim Reaper's little sister, his sense of fashion definitely something to aspire to.

2. His sense of aesthetic

Thankfully black matches with pretty much everything. However, it's a tad more difficult to detect aesthetic and properly match it. To donning a refusal to smile and calling oneself a marble princess, I say "same".

3. His submission to anime

Rarely in university do I ever encounter anyone who watches anime. It's like what they say for self-help, finding a friend who relates to your addiction might help you overcome it. Or you two could stay up binge watching anime until the circles underneath your eyes become as dark as your clothing.

4. His embodiment of Winnie the Pooh

Having grown up watching the cuddly and kind bear, Dan's manner of speech is often mistaken as posh. He is simply articulate with words, something that I can relate to with my love of words.

5. His skills as a storyteller

A good number of his videos discuss silly situations or cringe worthy lessons from his life. For example, an anecdote about his hamster eventually led to a message about intelligence and life. Not only does he express a humorous and engaging tale, he also imparts some wisdom.

6. His ability to cheer people up

His narratives about his awkwardness makes me feel better about myself. Thank you, Dan.

7. His existential crises

It's a little odd to say that I look up to to someone else that has internal crises about their existence, but it helps put into perspective about what I want to do with my life. Plus it's relieving to find someone else that also questions their existence while splayed out on their carpet.

8. His sarcasm

I'm monotonously sarcastic and I'm a fan of ironic zooms. His and Phil's crafts video captures sarcasm and zooms perfectly.

9. His thoughtfulness

I never know what to get people as gifts, but now perhaps I can be creative as Dan.

10. His writing

In addition to his book, he wrote a fanfic about himself and Phil. The diction and dialogue are on point along with his narration. I hope to have my writing become as sharp as his. (Get it? The fanfic is about vampires. Ha ha ha.)

11. His choices in home decor

I now have an addition to the list of things I want for my future apartment. A L shaped couch, a black bookshelf, and a white butt chair.

12. His relatability

His content also features relatable situations such as mumbling, having fictional friends, and fearing the dark. I definitely relate to those three things as I talk to fictional friends in a barely audible volume in a room with at least one lamp on.

13. His memes

Even though I'm trash for Dan, I can't go to The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire. That makes me sad, but no worries. I won't cry, I'll craft.

14. His sense of humor

Amazingly, Dan welcomes fanfiction involving himself with open arms. He stated that delving into the world of fan literature was better than "snorting crack off a hobo". Particularly in his "Dan and Phil vs. Tumblr" video, he read on as Phil cringed away at a detailed erotic fanfic.

15. His courage

It takes audacity to deviate from the traditional path of university and trek into the unknown. For Dan, it led to a book publication and career of Radio 1 and Youtube.

16. His understanding of consent

Bless Dan for understanding audience participation fear and only allowing consensual participation at his and Phil's live shows.

17. His baking skills

Every now and then he and Phil set off to create holiday themed delectable treats. The most I can make are animal shaped cookies so I hope to achieve high levels of edible craftsmanship as them.

18. His representation of responsibility

Over on their gaming channel, the two create and raise a Sims character named Dil Howlter. Dil eventually became a successful researcher, indicating that Dan and Phil raised him properly. (I'll overlook how Dil's girlfriend, Tabitha, got abducted by aliens.)

19. His acting ability

He also plays two female characters named Becky and Jessica. They've been featured in his book and a number of his videos. His expression of them is so good that there's even fan art of them.

20. His method of bonding

A strong bond equates a strong friendship. If we ever needed to bond, we could just create dents in the couch as we browse the internet or binge watch a show.

21. His honest use of language

I rarely meet people that swear as much as I do. I'm glad that there is someone out there that won't judge me for swearing so much. (I don't think I can input a screenshot of him swearing so this morph of him and doge will have to do.)

22. His snazzy HTML skills

Similar to Dan, I've dabbled with HTML since I was about eleven years old. But unlike him, my websites are tucked away in the untouched corners of the internet.

23. His great advice

In a series of videos called "Internet Support Group", Dan reads and answers questions from his viewers around the world. While continually dressed in an immaculate white button up and with a glass of alcoholic beverage in hand, his advice gradually shifted from sarcastic remarks to genuine tips.

24. His affinity with animals

His Instagram features pictures of him with wildlife and domestic pets. Both parties appear to be relatively chill at the interactions. I hope to someday be that good with animals.

25. His inspiration for others

There's no long sappy sentimental message for this, but he has inspired the university student writing this among many others. Happy 25th birthday, Dan.