25 Of The Best Songs Over Time

25 Of The Best Songs Over Time

Great music has come and gone, but these will remain.

11
25 Of The Best Songs Over Time
Fotor

Theoretically, my "Best Songs Of All Time" list is much, much bigger. But if I had to narrow them down, this is it and in no particular order.

To me, truly great music is made up of two things. Good lyrics and the truth. Are the lyrics true? Some of my absolute favorites are songs that have a deeper meaning than "smoking weed every day." Some of them made it because I've heard them a billion times. Some are there because I love the artists who sang them. And some are there because I just wanted them to be.

1. "Amazing Grace" (1779)

One word to describe this song: Beautiful. Absolutely Beautiful. Written by John Newton, this is a Christian hymn and was performed at Ronald Reagan's funeral. The Voice of Bulgaria's Vasya Popova nailed the song.

2. "Star Spangled Banner" (1931, written 1814)

You don't have to be "Pro-America" to love this song. The lyrics tell it all. Originally a poem, Francis Scott Key wrote the lyrics after witnessing British soldiers attacking Maryland Fort during the War of 1812. Though it's not on this list, I also want to give a shout-out to "God Bless America" written by Irving Berlin in 1918.

3. "I Want You Back" (1969)

This is a Jackson 5 song. Need I say more?

4. "Imagine" (1971)

If the description of a perfect world could be described in a song, John Lennon did just that. Nothing more. Nothing less. This song will never be forgotten.

5. "Ra Ra Rasputin" (1978)

Very catchy and historically accurate. The song describes Rasputin's life and how he ended the 300 year rule of the Romanov's.

6. "Ghostbusters" (1984)

Along with a Nintendo DS, Bubble Tape, Lunchables, and Sunny D, Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" would make the perfect 90's kid starter pack. Am I right?

7. "La Bamba" (1987)

Let's show the Mexicans some love. I don't understand a single word of it, nor can I sing any of it besides the chorus, yet I can't stop listening.

8. "I Will Always Love You" (1992)

Very few people can successfully replicate this song. Every single note, both high and low, are so clean and pure. Simply magnificent!

9. "Requiem For A Dream" (2000)

Every time I hear this song, I feel a small pit of emptiness in my stomach. And as the music continues, the pit expands into my entire body so that by the end, it's as if I have been transported into another world. It's scary yet satisfying. "Requiem For A Dream" will forever be a cult favorite in documentaries.

10. "Yeah!" (2004)

All I know is that if you don't consider Ray Parker, Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" as part of your 90's starter pack, then this is your song.

11. "Calabria" (2007)

In my opinion, there is nothing "musically special" about this song. Except for the fact that the sick saxophone solo is very, very, very catchy. And since the entire song is in a different language, "sick saxophone solo" is probably what you called the song for quite some time. Just read the YouTube comments about "Calabria". The struggle is real.

12. "Halo" (2008)

Another beautiful song. Beyonce is an extremely talented artist and though all her music is outstanding, I'd say this is her best.

13. "Shark In The Water" (2009)

If you're a Degrassi fan, you'll understand why this made the list.

14. "Waka Waka" (2010)

There's something patriotic about this song. Not "African Patriotism" or "American Patriotism" but more like world patriotism. The positive vibe is strong.

15. "I'm Coming Home" (2010)

Why must every single soldier homecoming video feature this song? Let the water works begin.

16. "What Makes You Beautiful" (2011)

I'm not a One Direction fan, but I love this song. One time I saw a YouTube desi wedding video where the bride and groom did a surprise lip sync battle. The groom performed this song. Excellent lyrics.

17. "Someone Like You" (2011)

Same deal as Beyonce. Adele's best song.

18. "Read All About It" (2012)

My singing ability is very strange. In general, I am a horrible singer. But for some odd reason, I can sing this song decently well. As I hear this song, I feel like Emili Sande told me her entire life story. I'm no music guru, but I've never heard a singer do that. Just listen. And you will understand.

19. "Just Give Me A Reason" (2013)

Also the same as Beyonce and Adele. P!nk's style of music is not my cup of tea, but this song is amazing.

20. "Chandelier" (2014)

In order to satisfy my broken heart for not being able to sing well, I watch music auditions for singing shows. And contestants who perform this song do so flawlessly. Of course, nothing beats the original.

21. "Take Me To Church" (2014)

When this song first came out, I would ritualistically keep it on repeat for hours. If I had to pick one song as my #1 favorite, this is it. Listening to this song while watching the music video is the best thing I've ever done, period. No words to say how obsessed I am. The damage has been done (in a good way).

22. "Happy" (2014)

How could you not like a song called "Happy?"

23. "My House" (2015)

Have you seen the Pizza Hut Garlic Knots commercial that uses this song in the background? I suspect that we'll be hearing it for a while now. I love when this plays on the radio.

24. "Lost Boy" (2015)

This song is too underrated. It is literally the definition of perfection. The lyrics have moved me.

25. "Just Like Fire" (2016)

Now this is more of a "classic" P!nk song. Though the tea is still not perfect, I like it.

So there you have it. 25 songs that are just as amazing as the artists who sang them. Leave a comment if any of these made your personal list, or tell me what you would pick as #26!