24 Things That Only George Fox Students Understand

22. “That’s not GFA.”

2145
George Fox University

There are special markers for every university, things that happen or are said and only make sense to members of that specific community. For George Fox University, there is A LOT. Here are just 24 of them.

1. The Quad.

No, this isn't your motorized off-roader or the muscle in your thigh. The Quad is the center of campus, allowing a view of nearly every academic building and holding the iconic clock tower.

2. The Canyon.

The loving nickname for the little valley in campus that isn't quite big enough to be called a valley. The Canyon has a wonderful creek that dramatically changes during the rainy seasons. It also has paths that go right through the dense collection of trees, instantly making you feel like you're not on campus anymore.

3. The Bon.

The famous—or rather infamous—Bon. It is a shortened name for Bon Appétit, the food provider for campus, as well as the designated name for wherever the cafeteria is. The stories are endless for the Bon.

4. The random song melodies that the clock tower plays at odd times of the day.

Our wonderful clock tower has the traditional ringing of the bells every quarter hour. However, there is also the added feature of random song melodies being played at odd times of the day. Why is it playing now at 4:47? No idea, but I'll enjoy it anyways.

5. *cup drops in the Bon* *clapping*

It's hard to explain why this happens, but I know I've been on both sides of this unspoken exchange between students. An individual drops their cup, which results in an echoing clatter. In response, many students begin clapping and cheering. It doesn't make sense and it doesn't have to.

6. Haven.

Every student is required to take Haven, an informational program on sexual assault and misconduct. Of course, it's important for every student to be exposed to this and to be taught proper conduct. However, the program itself doesn't require any passing grade; as a result, I've met many people who just click any answer to get the test over with. Because of this, Haven is often used as a joke among students, such as when two friends are hugging aggressively, one may jokingly call for Haven.

7. There’s friends, and then there’s Friends.

George Fox University's roots in Quakerism are evident in many areas of campus, and students will often hear of the Friend's church, the identifier for Quaker churches.

8. Serve Day.

Within the first few weeks of the school year, the entire campus comes together to do a day of service in the community, doing anything from washing fire trucks, painting schools or clearing blackberries.

9. The Crescent.

The campus journal which highlights interesting events and individuals on campus. The April Fool's edition of The Croissant is especially entertaining.

10. Jenna swiping your card at the Bon.

For all students who have gone to the Bon, chances are you've had an interaction with Jenna. Famous among students, she makes an effort to connect with as many as she can.

11. “Floor hours!”

When in the dorms, one can always here the nightly call of "Floor hours!". This signals that all members of the opposite sex are no longer allowed in the hall or rooms. This is to protect against any naughty shenanigans.

12. Ring by spring.

The marriage craze. As soon as people step on campus, many are already on the hunt for their future spouse.

13. Coffee dates.

Maybe this is just a college thing in general, but I have never heard of so many people going on coffee dates. Whether it be as an actual romantic interest or as friends wanting to catch up, people go on coffee dates any day of the week.

14. Pennington everything.

Pennington house, Pennington dorm, Pennington the Bear—you cannot go to Fox and not hear Pennington. It makes sense that Pennington should be heard so often though, considering Levi Pennington was one of the first presidents of the University, back when it was still a college in the early 1900s.

15. The bridge that shakes when people run and that becomes a slip’n’slide during the winter.

This is the bridge that provides easy access from anything coming from the center of campus to basically the Bon. Many times people have to laugh off the slight sense of fear that they get when people run on the bridge and it shakes. The winter time brings excitement to the bridge as well once it ices over.

16. People walking around barefoot.

I have never seen so many people walk around barefoot. It amazes me even more seeing as how freezing cold it is.

17. Burger Wednesdays, grilled cheese Thursdays and chicken strip Saturdays.

While most of the menu changes week to week, there are three meals that students can count on happening every week.

18. If you need something repaired, be ready to wait—to the point that you forget you even needed something repaired.

I get it, Plant Services gets very busy, but our bathroom light has been out for over a month now. Students across campus know this feeling, whether it be a light out, a washer not working, a plugged drain or broken furniture.

19. Hammocking.

If it's sunny, you can always count on at least five people to be in the Quad using their hammocks.

20. Those crazy individuals who somehow wear shorts every single day.

There was literal snow on the ground last year and I had a friend who wear shorts and sandals. I just don't get it.

21. Awesome wood carvings next to Canyon Commons.

These wooden carvings are of mountain goats, eagles and a leopard, among other things. These were all carved by a very talented student who also happened to be a part of my house last year.

22. “That’s not GFA.”

The classic answer to any questionable action, GFA is George Fox Approved. Thinking about drinking anything stronger than a root beer? Wanting to have members of the opposite sex in your room with the door closed? Want to the climb onto the roof of the dorm buildings? That's not GFA.

23. Blue Zone.

We are the Blue Zone. We are the fans for our sports team, we are the community on campus, we are united.

24. Be Known.

The George Fox promise of Be Known. We've all used Be Known as a punchline for a joke, but I would say from personal experience that it happens. I'm known by some professors, but most of all I'm known by my community. I think this list itself attests to students being known, since we can all relate to it.