24 Hours In Salzburg

24 Hours In Salzburg

The top things to see in Salzburg, Austria.

17
24 Hours In Salzburg
Bailey Shafer

Nestled right on the border of Austria and Germany lies the cute city of Salzburg. It's the setting of The Sound of Music and the birthplace of Mozart. If you want to make a visit, here's the perfect day to get a taste for this magical Austrian city.

7:30am - 9am Mirabell Gardens Walkthrough

Mirabell Gardens is an absolutely beautiful location in Salzburg. It is home to Mirabell Palace, elaborate gardens as well as a gnome garden. Some of the gnomes are even missing because Napoleon stole them. It makes for a beautiful and peaceful walk to start off your morning. I recommend doing this first in your day because it does get more crowded, but also it is literally right next door to the next stop.

9:30 am - 1pm Sound of Music Bike Tour

I recommend this tour as a way to see Salzburg as well as many of the famous sights from The Sound of Music. The tour consists of three and a half hours of guided biking through the old town of Salzburg as well as the surrounding areas. Riders have the opportunity to sing along to famous songs from the movie and get a nice overview of what the city has to offer. If you bring a Rick Steves travel guide you can save two Euros off each rider. I went in the pouring rain and it was still really fun, so on a sunny day it would be even better.

1pm - 2pm Late Lunch Along The Salzach River

After finishing up your bike tour, you will likely be hungry. There are a number of cute little cafes along the Salzach River. While you eat from a variety of typical Austrian food you will be able to enjoy a beautiful view of the river and the surrounding greenery.

2pm - 3pm Walk Through Old Town Ending at Dom Cathedral

A walk through the Altstadt has so much to see and do. Perhaps more famous than the Sound of Music is Mozart. While you walk make sure to stop and check out the bright yellow Mozart house. If you want to pop in the house offers a great summary of Mozart's life, but is not entirely necessary if you do not have the time. There are some cute little shops along this street and before long you will yourself in the city squares.

3pm- 4pm Dom Museum

The Dom museum is honestly one of my favorite museums I have ever been to. It is surprisingly huge and offers inside looks at elaborately decorated residences and stunning artwork. You can easily get lost in the amazingness of this place, but an hour seems like a safe bet to soak it all in. Not only do you get to see the museum, but you will also have the opportunity to gt up close to the organ and see the church from that high vantage point.

4pm- 5pm Fortress Hohensalzburg

On the horizon looms the Salzburg Fortress. To reach the top of the hill you can either walk up the path, i will warn you it gets steep, or you can ride up. For a small fee you can ride the funicular up. The fortress offers great views and a really amazing museum showing years of Austrian history. Its a great way to end the day in Salzburg, so take in the views and the knowledge of the country.