24 Hours in Budapest

24 Hours in Budapest

The top things to do in Budapest, Hungary.

14
24 Hours in Budapest
Bailey Shafer

Budapest is one of my favorite cities in Europe. I hope you will visit to fall in love with the culture and people who were so kind to us. Here are my highlights!

1. Start off your day at a thermal bath

Budapest is famous for their thermal baths. Popular among tourists and locals alike, a visit to the baths is a relaxing way to start the day. The most famous of the baths is Széchenyi Bath. This bath can be quite pricey, especially if you are on a budget. It costs about $20 per person.

I personally recommend the Kiraly Baths. While much smaller, the very old Turkish baths are a hot spot for locals and is much easier on your wallet. The vibe is relaxing, you might even meet some nice locals like we did.

2. Pay a visit to Buda Castle and see the Changing of the Guard

A visit to Budapest would not be complete without a walk over to Buda Castle. The castle is more of a complex of different attractions. Even if you don't go into the museums there, it is still worth it for the beautiful walk and views from the top. During the day, the changing of the guard can be watched every hour. If you happen to be up there at the right time, its worth a couple minutes to watch the well rehearsed exchange.

3. Walk down the road to Matthias' Church and Fisherman's Bastion

From Buda Castle, continue along the hill to Matthias' Church and Fisherman's Bastion. The church is incredibly intricate and is a great thing to see. Surrounding Matthias' Church is Fisherman's Bastion. From this series of towers and archways you can get absolutely magnificent views of the city. Honestly this is one of the best photo points in the city.

Pro Tip: You can get cheap and good Hungarian food up in this area. We ate pretty large and traditional meals for a only a few dollars.

4. Walk across the Chain Bridge

Once you head down from Fisherman's Bastion, head to the Pest side of the city by way of the famous Chain Bridge. The bridge is actually really cool and offers great views down the river.

5. Visit the Great Central Market

One of the coolest parts of Pest is the Great Central Market. The market is three stories and houses hundreds of stalls selling fresh food and traditional Hungarian wares. Whether you are looking for ingredients for dinner or for cool souvenirs, the market has it. I found so many cool things such as painted eggs, Paprika, or some really delicious cake.

6. Walk along the Danube River

The Danube River, or the Duna in Hungarian, is gorgeous. This makes it the perfect place for a stroll. While walking along be sure to visit the shoes along the bank which memorialize the many Jews murdered there during the Holocaust.

7. Visit St. Stephan's Basilica

St. Stephan's Basilica is a gorgeous place, full of intricate domes, stained glass, and artwork. Its free to enter, so you should definitely step inside. Since you are already there, be sure to get rose gelato. Its scooped to look like a rose and tastes absolutely amazing. The cute little shop is located across the square from the basilica.

8. Check out the Parliament Building

Parliament in Budapest is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city. It's worth continuing down the river to see it, even if just to admire the exterior.

9. Take a night cruise on the river

To cap off a long and surely busy day in Budapest take a night cruise on the Danube. There are many options, including dinner tours, wine tours, concert tours, beer tours, guided tours and many others. We did a wine tasting tour where we got to taste Hungarian wines. It was definitely worth every penny!