23 Things I've Learned About Life Since Turning 23

*sings to myself* Go, shawty! It's your birthday!

38

The infamous Kylie Jenner said that 2016 was her year of, "realizing things," and those wise words said by this social media starlet definitely rings true for me when it comes to my 23rd birthday.

When I turned 22 in 2016, I didn't really have high hopes for the year to come. I was still mourning the loss of my Grandmother's passing, I was recovering from a fallout with my close friends and basically at the point where I was nearly flunking out of school. So yeah, like I said, my hopes weren't high and I was just praying that my 22nd year wouldn't be as crappy as my 21st year.

But, almost kind of like magic, when I turned 22 on July 6, 2016 (4:44PM) the wheel was set in motion for me to have one of the most eventful years of my life. Of course, there were some hardships that I endured along the way, but those moments made for some great lessons for me to take into the rest of my lifetime.

I am so looking forward to what 23 is going to bring me. I don't know why but I feel like once you turn 23, you really are finally cementing your adulthood.

So, here is a list of 23 things that I have realized and some random thoughts that I have about my life, this world and the people around me since turning 23.

1. I'm not done making new friends.

2. I'm not obligated to show up for people who haven't shown up for me.

3. I can't put a time stamp on anything in my life that hasn't happened yet.

4. My relationship with God is always changing and evolving.

5. Just because it's taking me longer to graduate does not mean that I am a failure.

6. Even though I'm legally an adult, I still rely on my parents for so much.

7. My parents are getting older, so I need to stop relying on them for so much.

8. Insecurities are real but it's OK to have them to an extent.

9. F**kboys come in all shapes, sizes and ages so there's no escaping them, but, I can choose whether or not I deal with the foolishness.

10. Even though I'm not done making new friends, the friendships that I already have in my life, I want them to last a lifetime.

11. I'm over being in 'situationships' and getting into uncertain things with uncertain people who I know I have no future with.

12. I think I'm ready to be in a real, committed and serious relationship.

13. Sometimes I think I'd rather stay single.

14. I've realized that this world is a real dangerous place, but despite that fact, I'm not going to let that stop me from living my life.

15. I never thought I would say this one, but, I love traveling alone. Being on a plane by yourself is one of the most peaceful and liberating experiences that I think everyone should try at least once.

16. If I want to get to where I want to be in life, I have to be willing to let some things go.

17. Drinking water is really the gateway for leading a healthy life (I personally need to drink way more of it).

18. I don't have to live my life based on the standards that society has placed on me.

19. I've realized that I am so privileged in regards to many things in life, but I need to use that privilege to help those who are not.

20. I think I'm at a point in life where I rather be in intimate settings than in large loud crowds (party girl Kelsey is retiring this year).

21. I realized that I used to seek validation from other people so that I could find happiness, but even though it sounds cliché, true happiness comes from within myself.

22. Self-care for me comes in the form of taking a bubble bath, drinking a glass of wine while reading a book and being surrounded by candles.

23. Even though so much has happened in my life and knowing that I can't predict the future; I am still so hopeful that everything that I want to achieve will happen just the way it's supposed to.

Happy Birthday, to me!