23 Summer Musts For Every College Kid In The Cleveland Area

Maybe you call CLE home or maybe you're just gonna visit--either way, this is a list of things you HAVE to do.

213
Alexis Mills

I've lived 25 minutes from Cleveland my whole life and I can sincerely say that I love my city. Cleveland sometimes gets a bad rap but in reality, it is a fun and dynamic place with a vibrant energy and a ton of cool things to do. Whether you are a college kid home for the summer or just plan on visiting the 216, here is a list of the things you MUST do if you wanna enjoy your time here during the summer months.

1. Make a group summer playlist with friends

This one isn't Cleveland specific but in order to achieve the maximum amount of fun with this list, you're going to need some friends to do it with and a playlist of bops to color your adventures.

2. Drive without a destination

Believe it or not, a lot of my favorite memories are spending nights blasting music and driving around aimlessly with my friends. That playlist I mentioned would be PERFECT for this.

3. Kayak down the Cuyahoga River

Head down to Cleveland and you'll find a number of places to rent a kayak or canoe and take down the river. Kayaking is a really fun way to get outside and spend time with your friends while still doing something cool, and it's made even better by the beautiful scenery the city has to offer.

4. Support the Tribe at an Indians Game

Even if you don't pay attention to baseball or root for another team, it is always a blast to go to Progressive Field and enjoy a great game. It never hurts to just grab a hot dog and soak in the good vibes.

5. Take in the smells and sights of the West Side Market

You're missing out if you've never experienced the market. It's a fun experience in itself to just walk around and look at the vendors, so no need to even spend any money on this one (but I can't promise that you won't want to)!

6. Grab a coffee and walk around Ohio City

After you're done at the West Side Market, go ahead an explore the surrounding area of Ohio City. It's a cute place with tons of restaurants and coffee shops and looks fantastic on the 'gram--I would know.

7. Explore one of the museums downtown

The Cleveland Museum of Natural History and the Museum of Art are both really beautiful and cool day trips that never disappoint. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is unlike most other museums and I can guarantee that your first visit there will be an experience you'll cherish, it's just that interesting is cool.

8. Try yummy food at a local restaurant

There are so many delicious food staples that are unique to Cleveland that any person with taste buds should check out. Go to Melt for a delicious, amped-up grilled cheese or locate a Malley's storefront for the most amazing chocolate you will ever enjoy.

9. Jam out during a concert at Blossom Music Center

It doesn't matter who you go see perform, the outdoor venue is always a good time.

10. Snap a cheesy photo with one of the "Cleveland" signs

There are three of them around now, and they look pretty freaking cool in pictures, just sayin'.

11. Spend a beach day at Lake Erie

A nice, relaxing day at one of the beaches at Lake Erie can almost feel as nice as the sands of beautiful eyes in the Tropics, if you close your eyes and imagine hard enough. OK, maybe not, but it's still a fun time to make a day out of it and go enjoy the water nonetheless.

12. Shop til you drop at Crocker Park Shopping Center

Crocker Park has everything from Urban Outfitters to Cheesecake Factory, so a stop here is never a bad idea, except maybe for your wallet.

13. Enjoy a festival in a city you've never been in before

I know that my town has the North Ridgeville Corn Festival. It sounds pretty lame but they're normally free and not a bad way to blow a few hours.

14. Take a fitness class with your friends

OK, hear me out: working out can be a really good time. it's pretty cool to try a fun new form of fitness, and some studios let you try out a class for free. Or you could look around for free classes that are sometimes offered.

15. Spend a night under the stars and see a drive-in movie

Right in my hometown of North Ridgeville, Ohio, we have a drive-in movie theater. It's not expensive at all for getting to see two movies, plus, if you've never been to one, it's such a unique experience to sit in your car and watch a movie on a ginormous screen.

16. Go explore a park

Sure, you could do this anywhere. But Cleveland has a TON of cool nature-y place to go adventuring through. It can be a blast to spend the day enjoying the outdoors with some pals.

17. Cheer on the Cavs at a Watch Party

Nothing can compare to the energy of a gathering of Cavs fans. It's so fun that it's almost addicting (especially if the Cavs are winning), so if you haven't been or even if you have, I highly recommend capitalizing on this experience and moseying down to Cleveland.

18. Watch a local band at a local venue

There are tons of little dive places that offer live music scattered around the Cleveland area. WHo knows, maybe you'll discover your next favorite band and grab a bite of food while you're at it.

19. Gawk at some cute animals in the Cleveland Zoo

Any zoo is a good time, but the Cleveland zoo is especially awesome.

20. Watch a show at Playhouse Square

The shows at Playhouse Square are always top notch and a blast to see. I always make a night of it and get dressed up and go out to dinner before the show, which I think makes things that much more exciting.

21. Cool off with some delicious Mitchell's Ice Cream

Mitchell's is local to CLE and absolutely amazing. I'm starting a fan club dedicated to their Coffee Chocolate Chunk.

22. Throw a water balloon fight with your friends

OK, so this sounds lame and totally like something a bunch of seven-year-olds would enjoy, but I promise, when you're broke and bored, it can be one dang good time.

23. Plan a trip to visit your college friends

The only downside to all the friends you make in college is that nine times out of ten, they don't live near you. So I say capitalize on that distance and make a fun trip out of it! Or, bring them up to Cleveland and REALLY have a good time.