22 Pages Every Girl Should Read From "Milk And Honey"

Rupi Kaur's magnificent work is good for the soul.
1535

Rupi Kaur's "Milk and Honey" is one of my all-time favorite poetry books, and she is one of my all time favorite authors/poets. She has an incredible way with words that show the true emotions she has experienced. She is compelling and honest, striking and intelligent.

In the book, there are four sections: the hurting, the loving, the breaking, and the healing. I selected 22 pieces from the healing that I feel every girl should read. I highly recommend buying "Milk and Honey" because not only will you get cool pics for VSCO, you will also have an amazing and enthralling read.

Page 150

“you must enter a relationship
with yourself
before anyone else”

You have to love yourself before you can start loving others, and sometimes that seems hard, but you have you learn how to do this. Otherwise, there will be parts missing in your life.

Page 151

“accept that you deserve more
than painful love
life is moving
the healthiest thing
for your heart is
to move with it”

Always remember this, love shouldn't hurt. Love isn't painful. Love is kind and gentle. Don't get yourself hurt.

Page 153

“loneliness is a sign you are in desperate need of yourself"

We all think that surrounding ourselves with people will make things better, but that isn't always true.

Page 154

“you are in the habit
of co-depending
on people to
make up for what
you think you lack

who tricked you
into believing
another person
was meant to complete you
when the most they can do is complement”

You are impressive alone, spectacular and gorgeous and amazing. You have no need to co-depend.

Page 156

"if you were born with
the weakness to fall
you were born with
the strength to rise"

This really means a lot to me, and I think that a lot of girls should learn this. As the saying goes, it's always darkest before the dawn.

Page 161

"fall
in love
with your solitude"

This is one of my favorites. Fall deeply, madly in love with the fact that you are perfect just the way you are.

Page 162

"there is a difference between
someone telling you they love you and
them actually
loving you"

This is so important. Genuine love will come over time.

Page 164

"you tell me
i'm not like most girls
and learn to kiss me with your eyes closed
something about the phrase --something about
how i have to be unlike the women
i call sisters in order to be wanted
make me want to spit your tongue out
like i am supposed to be proud you picked me
a if i should be relieved you think
i am better than them"

Since when is it cool to turn on your sisters? These women are meant to make us strong and empower us. It's 2017, girl-shaming is totally out.

Page 165

You are your own person and no man, or woman, should tell you what to do with your body.

Page 169

"i like the way stretch marks
on my thighs look human
that we're soft yet
wild
when we need to be
i love that about us
how capable we are of feeling
how unafraid we are of breaking
and tend to our wounds with grace
just being a woman
calling myself
a woman
makes me utterly whole
and complete"

This one resonates with me. It shows the beauty in things we usually think are imperfections.

Page 172

"accept yourself
as you were designed"

Just another amazing Kaur quote to show you that self-love is so important.

Page 174

"losing you
was the becoming
of myself"

You might think they make your world great, but try losing them. You might learn that the world was great without them, and you were even greater than you thought.

Page 175

"other women's bodies
are not our battlegrounds"

YES, YES, YES! Stop trying to turn girls against other girls.

Page 178

"you were a dragon long before
he came around and said
you could fly
you will remain a dragon
long after he's left"

Remember to stay fierce and strong and mighty, whether you are on your own or not.

Page 179

"i want to apologize to all the women
i have called pretty
before i've called them intelligent or brave
i am sorry i made it sound as though
something as simple as what you're born with
is the most you to be proud of when your
spirit has crushed mountains
from now on i will say things like
you are resilient or you are extraordinary
not because i don't think you're pretty
but because you are so much more than that"

We are spectacular, wondrous, amazing, and so much more. Don't let anyone tell you the outside is what counts the most.

Page 182

"if the hurt comes
so will the happiness
-be patient"

Some people think that darkness lasts forever, it doesn't. The sunshine comes eventually, no matter how long the storm.

Page 185

"the world
gives you
so much pain
and here you are
making gold out of it
-there is nothing purer than that"

Be happy and kind. Make the best out of the worst and good things will come your way.

Page 186

"how you love yourself is
how you teach others
to love you"

If you can't love yourself, then no one will. Self-love is key.

Page 189

"you
are your own
soul mate"

This is easily my favorite page. I live by this. You are meant for you, you are all you need. Yes, there are other people who make life wonderful, but in the end, you only need you.

Page 191

"we all move forward when
we recognize how resilient
and striking the women
around us are"

LADIES UNITE! Girl power all the way!

Page 197

"if you are not enough for yourself
you will never be enough
for someone else"

Just let this one sink in, it will pay off in the end.

Page 198

"you must
want to spend
the rest of your life
with yourself
first"

I've basically been preaching this the entire time, but you don't know how many girls I've met who don't take this as seriously as they should. I hope these are quotes you can look at when you're down or sad. You need to remember that you girl, are more than words can describe, you are boundless.