22 Is A Complicated, Weird Age

Happy, Free, Confused, And Lonely At The Same Time: Turning 22

It's miserable and magical, oh yeah

299

When Taylor Swift released the song "22" in 2012, I was 15. At that time, I didn't really understand exactly how accurate some of the lyrics of that song would come to be.

Fast forward seven years, and as of this week, I am feeling 22. And I am simultaneously happy, free, confused, and lonely.

Happy

It's my birthday, I just graduated from college, an I am living with my friends for another year in a city I love. I have a great family, and I am healthy.

Free

I am in charge of myself. I decide where I spend my time, how I spend my money, and who I choose to surround myself with. It's completely up to me to be a good person that I am happy with.

Confused

Oh crap, now I need a job. And probably to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. And I need to keep up with my friends who have moved after graduation. Also, is that one person mad at me or am I just overthinking it?

Lonely

Half of my friends have left after graduation and the other half have summer jobs. I'm happily single... until I watch a rom-com. Or see vacation pics. Or just think about it for too long.

That's a lot of emotions to feel at once. It's no wonder why I'm stressed.

Life is truly miserable and magical... but I think it holds true beyond the age of 22. We all have different joys and sorrows. Sure, the ratio differs from person to person, from day to day. But they're there.

Choose to face the sorrows, however that looks for you. Choose to celebrate the joys, however big or small.

Goals for 22: Focus on the magical more than the miserable and eat breakfast at midnight at least once.