21 Things To Do On Your 21st Birthday That Don't Include Alcohol

21 Things To Do Instead Of Drinking Away Your 21st Birthday

There's more to it than just booze!

952

I'm turning 21 in less than two months and here are 21 things I'm looking forward to more than drinking:

1. Open carry license

The ability to protect myself in any situation? Yes please.

2. One year closer to retirement

3. Getting that horizontal driver's license

4. Booking a hotel

Whenever I have travelled without my parents for the past 2 ish years, I've had to stick with cheap, crummy motels because I know they don't care what age you are when you check in. Hotels across the nation require you be at least 21+ years of age to check in.

5. CASINO TIME

Hitting up a casino and gambling? yes please

6. Bye bye big X's on my hands

7. One year closer to running for president

8. Elligible for my company's pension plan

9. Adopt a dog

Depending on the shelter, some will require you be at least 21 years of age (others are 18).

10. Apply for a marriage license in ALL 50 states

No, I'm not getting married any time soon. BUT it is nice to have that knowledge that I can get a marriage license wherever and whenever I want.

11. Not have the paranoia of drinking and seeing a cop walk by

12. Legally buy pot in Colorado

13. Foster a child

Not sure of many 21 year olds who want the responsibility of a child, but if that's your thing you can now legally foster a kid

14. Supervise a new driver

15. Go to an exclusive 21+ event/resort/venue

Enjoy the serenity of a no-children venue

16. Find better car insurance rates

If you're not the one flipping this bill - thank your lucky stars. Rates for people 21 and under are HORRIFIC

17. Pilot a plane alone

18. Turn up at a nightclub

19. You can drive certain vehicles you couldn't before

As someone who works in insurance, we won't insure you until you're 21 to drive busses/cargo trucks/etc. Every company is different, and some may let you get away with it with a clean driving record, but once you hit 21 no one can tell you no.

20. Rent a car

Yes, most companies require you be 25 - BUT some will let you at 21 (of course you'll be subject to insanely high fees)

21. GETTING TURNT

Yes, this contradicts the title. Buuuut let's get real... this is the MAIN reason for celebrating on your 21st.

While yes, the 21st is a right of passage for American young adults and it is primarily known for drinking the night away. However, it doesn't have to be that way!! Just follow this list for other ideas.