21 Lessons Learned By 21

21 Lessons Learned By 21

“Only ever chase dreams and drinks."

33
21 Lessons Learned By 21
alicdn.com

Even though 21 has come up on me faster than I ever could have imagined (definitely not complaining though), I realize that I have learned some valuable lessons in these last 21 years of life. The following are the 21 lessons I feel are most important:

1. People always leave

Peyton Sawyer was right. Whether it’s the best friend you imagined standing next to you at your wedding, the significant other you thought you would spend your forever with, or the family member whose time was cut too short on this earth, people always leave.

2. Live in the moment, not in the past or in the future

Before you know it, the moment you are in will soon slip into a memory. Enjoy where you are, letting go of where you were, and not being afraid of where you are going.

3. The transition to college is the most difficult change as of this point in your life

The move to college was not all parties, friends, and butterflies like it’s depicted in the movies. It’s actually really hard. Your course load is a million times more intense, being on your own schedule is a blessing and a curse, and not living in the same house as the people you used to spend everyday with is a HUGE adjustment.

4. Your siblings become your best friends

If you would have told me 10 years ago that my siblings would now be my best friends, I never would have believed you. Now though, they are the people that I have the most fun with and I know I can trust them with my whole heart.

5. Take notes in church

It will help you stay awake and really that information is even more important than the info you’re learning in any of your classes.

6. Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is always worth the extra calories

Yes we should be healthy and do our best to eat clean, but Ben & Jerry’s chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is always a yes.

7. Do not define yourself by others’ ideas of who you should be and what you should do

I was always hesitant to wear makeup because I thought it was frowned upon to “put your face on” and to “look like someone you’re not”. Now, I have four cosmetic bags overflowing with mascara, foundations, mineral powders, and Naked pallets. I’m not ashamed of enjoying makeup anymore because it makes me feel confident and that’s what matters.

8. Do not miss out on life

My first few semesters of college, I did not let myself do anything but study. I always turned down opportunities to spend time with others because I had my nose in the textbook. However, after a few semesters, I’ve learned how to balance school and life. I know when it’s time to study and I also know when it’s more than okay to say yes to a Chipotle dinner with friends.

9. Read your Bible

I heard awhile back that using your phone right before you go to sleep makes it much more difficult to fall asleep and you may be more restless. I love my sleep, so I started reading my bible before I get some shut eye for the night. Not only has this helped me to sleep better, but being in God’s Word truly gives me more direction and serenity in my life.

10. Coffee is a must

White chocolate mochas, Keurig k-cups, iced coffee, it’s all a necessity and one of the most simple pleasures in life.

11. Let go of toxic people

If anybody in your life brings more negative than positive, it’s time to let go and focus on relationships that are healthier.

12. Things always seem much more enjoyable looking back

I swore that I would never miss any aspects of high school after the day of graduation. However, 3 years later I really do miss high school friends, awkward dances, variety sports, Friday night football games, and midnight trips to Eat ’N Park.

13. Broken hearts really do heal

There were boys I thought I’d never get over and girl drama that I thought would last forever. I found though that time really does heal and all things (good and bad) eventually come to an end.

14. Make the most of your time with your parents

Go grocery shopping with your mom. Watch the hockey game with your dad. Value every moment you get to spend with the two most important people in your life because one day you will miss them and those moments when you don’t get to spend time with them everyday.

15. Don’t be afraid

Don’t be afraid of new experiences, going somewhere you’ve never been, building a friendship you never thought you would, or taking a class you never thought you’d take. Fill your life with experiences and never be afraid of a challenge.

16. Get help when you need it

Be it professional help, a phone call to mom, or a meeting with a professor, never be afraid to ask for help when you’re struggling.

17. When you get your weight down to a place where you’re confident, don’t step back on the scale

It’s a fool-proof way to staying confident!

18. Time goes by faster every year

Honestly, I feel like I just turned 20 five months ago. Yet another reason to make the most of all of the time you have.

19. The world’s a scary place

Especially once you leave your small town, you realize that there is so much more outside of your little bubble. As I continue to get older, I continue to lose faith in the good of humanity.

20. Don’t judge

You are in control of you and only you. Be a light to all of those around you, but do not stick up your nose at somebody and the way they live. Your life is your own, as is their’s.

21. You are not what you’ve done or what has been done to you.

Every day is a new opportunity. You are not defined by your past mistakes, and there is always an opportunity to be better than you were the day before. Likewise, always guard your heart but do not be reluctant to forgive.

Here’s to 21 years and the lessons to come. Also, here’s to finally being able to order a margarita at Applebee’s!