21 Hits Of The '90s Power Ranked For Road Trips

Some Songs Just Have To Be Shouted

4
Sara Salvo

You're driving. Whether you're with your friends or alone, whether you're going somewhere that's five minutes or five hours away, the most important thing to have after gas is music. The key to any good road trip is a combination of songs that are classic, catchy and relatively well-known so you're not caught belting out lyrics while no one else has a clue what they are. This being the case, there is arguably no better decade of music that fits all of these characteristics for twenty-something year-olds than the 1990's. Obviously, some of these songs are arguably better than others, so here's a power-ranking of songs that made the top 21.

1. Semi-Charmed Life, Third Eye Blind (1997)

Nothing better than rage singing, "DOO DO DO, DOO DO DO DO" in the middle of a long car ride. Number one, non-negotiable.

2. My Own Worst Enemy, Lit (1999)

Can't even say I'm ashamed of the looks I've gotten while jamming to this song in the car. Classic.

3. What's My Age Again?, Blink 182 (1999)

"It's not a phase, Mom."

4. Mr. Jones, Counting Crows (1993)

*Bangs palms against steering wheel to beat* "SHA LA LA LA LA LA LA."

5. No Scrubs, TLC (1999)

Ideal song for two or more people, girls or guys, doesn't matter. We all know you sing it when you're alone in your car anyway, so the more the merrier.

6. You Get What You Give, New Radicals (1998)

Windows down, sunroof open, cliched-yet-catchy music up.

7. Two Princes, Spin Doctors (1991)

"Go ahead now."

8. I Want It That Way, Backstreet Boys (1999)

A rough day means nothing when you have this gem to listen to in the car. Indisputably the top song of the pop section of this list.

9. ...Baby One More Time, Britney Spears (1999)

Iconic.

10. Tearin' Up My Heart, *NSYNC (1997)

Anyone with an allegiance to *NSYNC thinks I'm wrong. They're wrong.

11. Wannabe, Spice Girls (1996)

If you and your friends don't have designated parts of this song that each of you sings when it comes on, you're doing it wrong.

12. One Week, Barenaked Ladies (1998)

When you're in a fight with your friend over something dumb but neither of you wants to apologize.

13. Under The Bridge, Red Hot Chili Peppers (1991)

It's not a road trip if there's not at least one RHCP song. End of discussion.

14. We Didn't Start the Fire, Billy Joel (1989)

10 points if you know every word.

15. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana (1991)

It's not a '90s playlist if this song isn't on it.

16. Run-Around, Blues Traveler (1994)

But can you sing it all in one giant breath? Go.

17. Roll to Me, Del Amitri (1995)

*Internal Monologue* "NO! IT'S NOT EVERYTHING I HOPED THAT IT BE. THANKS FOR ASKING"

18. All For You, Sister Hazel (1994)

FINALLY.

19. Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit of...), Lou Bega (1999)

You're lying if you say you never wished your name was included in this song.

20. Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice (1991)

Who doesn't want to kick it with Vanilla Ice?

21. Mo Money Mo Problems, Notorious B.I.G. (1997)

Pretty sure more money would be the least of my problems, just saying.

*Disclaimer: Could probably be persuaded to change the order of this list, except for number one, because let's be real: at the end of the day any of the above songs will do when you need to jam-out on the car ride home.