2018 Has Been A Good Year For Asian Representation

These 4 Highlights Show How 2018 Has Been The Year Of Asian Representation

Asian people are no longer the sidekick or have a ridiculously incorrect accent. They are now the stars of the show!

146

2018 has been an amazing year for Asian representation. From sports to films, representation is at an all-time high. Here are some highlights from this year.

1. Chloe Kim

Chloe Kim rocked the slopes and broke records during her time at the 2018 Winter Olympics. She became the youngest woman to win an Olympic snowboarding medal at the age of seventeen. She also was the first woman to land a frontside double cork 1080 in halfpipe. Her achievements on the slopes show the amazing work ethic she has which she says she got from her immigrant parents. Her father came to the states with $800 and a Korean to English dictionary. Her father was able to work his way up to an engineering degree, but gave it up so that Chloe could snowboard. Their heartwarming story served as an inspiration for many Asian-Americans.

2. "Crazy Rich Asians" and "To All The Boys I've Loved Before"

Both of these movies changed how cinema views Asians. Asian people are no longer the sidekick or have a ridiculously incorrect accent. They are now the stars of the show! Both movies were released in August and are still making waves. Netflix revealed that "To All The Boys I've Loved Before" was one of the most rewatched original movies on the platform. The Covey sisters were absolutely adorable and the plot of the movie captured the hearts of many.

"Crazy Rich Asians" became the highest-grossing romantic comedy of the year making over $169 million in sales.

I personally loved both of these movies because I've never seen anyone that looked like me on the big screen as the lead. Both movies made me cry tears of joy knowing cinema is taking the right step forward with diversity in its cast.

3. BTS

Korean pop is making its way across the world as seen by the success of BTS in the states. BTS became the first K-Pop group to speak at the United Nations. The group uses their music to advocate for the youth. BTS was chosen to be the ambassador of the "Love Myself" campaign which advocates against youth violence.

4. Sandra Oh

To put a cherry on top of the year, Sandra Oh was chosen to host the Golden Globes with Andy Samberg. Sandra Oh has the chance to win and host during the same night for her role in the "Killing Eve."