The 2018 Midterm Elections From A College Student Perspective
Elections

What Happens Now That Midterms Are Over: A College Student 's Perspective

Yes, that means that there won't be anymore signs, propaganda, and commercials every five seconds anymore.

245

Even though the midterm elections are very insignificant compared to other national elections, this specific election was a monumental one for many reasons. A lot of celebrities and public figures were trying to push for the blue wave. The "blue wave" is a movement for Democrats to have their voice heard again in legislative again after being in the minority for years. Heather Cox Richardson writes for CNN, "Democrats won control of the House, making it younger, darker, and more females as they took at least 26 seats."

This election, especially, had many firsts. To begin with, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez became the youngest woman ever elected to Congress. In June, she won an upset primary in New York, saying "women like me aren't supposed to run for office."

Ayanna Pressley became the first African-American congresswoman from Massachusetts. After her primary victory, she said, "These time demanded more from our leaders and from our party. These times demanded an approach on government that was bold, uncompromising and, unafraid. It's not just good enough to see the Democrats back in power but it matters who those Democrats are."

Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar are the first Muslim congresswomen. Both have made strides to increase the minimum wage and support expanding Medicare as well as subsidizing higher education costs for low-income students.

Jared Polis is the first openly gay man elected as governor in Colorado.

Sharice Davids is the first Native American and first lesbian congresswoman from Kansas.

Deb Haaland is also the first Native American woman to chair a state political party in New Mexico.

Marsha Blackburn is the first female senator from Tennessee.

Janet Mills is the first female governor of Maine.

Abby Finkenauer is the first congresswoman from Iowa, as well as being one of the youngest people ever elected to the House.

Jahana Hayes is the first African-American congresswoman from Connecticut.

Finally, Veronica Escobar and Sylvia Garcia are the first Latina congresswomen from Texas.

When all the victors are sworn in next year, there will be a split Congress in Washington D.C.: The Democrats will take over the House of Representatives for the first time since Barack Obama's first midterm. This will mean that there will be more support for the investigations against President Trump, and possibly slow the Republican agenda before the 2020 elections. However, Republicans will still have a majority in the Senate, and a larger majority at that.

Although Republicans gained ground in the Senate, they lost support in the Midwest Rust Belt regions, which were important for Trump's victory in 2020. Republicans have to deal with a major loss from the election: If they are unpopular now, it may be worse in 2020. Heather Cox Richardson also commented in her article that "The (blue) wave looks more and more like a running tide." With the power that now has been placed in the hands of the Democrats, it should be interesting to see how the next two years will be until we vote again for the next presidential run.