2017 Is A SIRIUSLY Important Year

2017 Is A SIRIUSLY Important Year

The magic lives on, after all.

12
2017 Is A SIRIUSLY Important Year

Every new year brings opportunities to start from scratch and set some resolutions. Anniversaries are commemorated, milestones pass and trends - whether fresh or comebacks - grow and fade. There's a lot I am looking forward to this 2017 that for sure will top off anything that happened last year, such as new music, new movies and series to binge watch.

I recently finished reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and it caught my attention details regarding the timeline portrayed minimally in the book, thanks to these I managed to trace the timeline in my head:

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

Voldemort attacked Harry's Parents on October 31st, 1981. Harry was a year old when this happened, with this I noticed he was born in 1980. The Triwizard Tournament in which Harry participated in his fourth year plays a part in The Cursed Child, the year was mentioned. 1994. From this, I deduced that Harry had started Hogwarts in 1991 and the Battle of Hogwarts was in 1998.

Before this, the only official reference of time that was mentioned in the books was in the Chamber of Secrets, where Harry attends the 500th deathday celebration hosted by Nearly Headless Nick. The book features a cake with Nick's tombstone, that read "Sir Nicholas De Mimsy-Porpington Died October 31, 1492." With this information, Potter fans parted that it would be 1992 the year the Chamber of Secrets was opened for the second time, the first time was in 1942.

J.K. Rowling Tweeted on May 2th, 2015, about the 17th anniversary of this battle, apologizing for killing so many beloved characters. The time in The Cursed Child is set 19 years after the battle of Hogwarts, the epilogue of the Deathly Hallows. It turns out that 2017 is the year where said epilogue occurs. Therefore, the nostalgic last scene from Deathly Hallows part 2 at Platform 9 3/4 happens this year. Also, the Cursed Child also occurs this year!

Another Harry Potter milestone that 2017 marks is the 20th anniversary of the publication in the UK for Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone.

Feeling old yet, Potterheads?