It's 2016, So Why Are Women's Teams Still Getting Paid Less Than Men?

The U.S. women's soccer team brought home the World Cup, but for a lot less money.

18
Forbes

Okay.... let's talk about equality really quickly. It is 2016 and we are still dealing with women being treated differently than men. The latest issue of this has come up with the United States Women's National Soccer Team (USWNT) and their pay compared to what the men make.

Personally, I am a huge soccer fan and I follow both the men and women's teams. If you have no knowledge of soccer and do not follow the teams then let me catch you up on how both teams have done in their most recent FIFA World Cups. In the Summer of 2014 in Brazil, the Men's National Team barely squeaked into the round of 16 thanks to a late goal from Portugal's superstar Ronaldo. The women's team, on the other hand, WON THE WHOLE TOURNAMENT in the summer of 2015.

Now, any person can look at these numbers and see that the U.S. women's soccer team is being underpaid. But why? That is the lingering question that I just cannot seem to figure out. The women have won three FIFA World Cups and the men have yet to even advance past the quarterfinals in the modern era. According to pbs.org, "The players — Hope Solo, Carli Lloyd, Rebecca Sauerbrunn, Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe — filed the complaint, dated March 29, with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against the U.S. Soccer Federation." This is being deemed as one of the first major steps to getting women equal pay, but it is not just soccer where we see women getting paid less than men in the same sport.

People across the country need to stand behind these women, and help them get the pay that they deserve. Come on, people, it is 2016 and professional female athletes are playing at a level that most of us (men and women) can only dream of and are still not getting paid fairly. Something is seriously wrong here. America, it is time to pull our head's out of our asses and give these women the recognition they deserve.