2016: The Year Of The Superhero?

2016: The Year Of The Superhero?

Brace yourselves, superhero movies are coming.

20
2016: The Year Of The Superhero?
Marvel Studios

If you're a fan of superheroes, then this year is a great year for you. 2016 brings with it some great superhero movies. Both D.C. Comics and Marvel have big movies on the slate for fans, and it all starts next week.

First up, on Feb. 12, Ryan Reynolds hits the big screen as the famed mercenary turned hero named Deadpool. Many people have been waiting for this movie for years and it's finally happening. In my opinion, based off of the previews, "Deadpool" looks great. With an R rating and the hype surrounding it, the movie should be a violence-filled, action-packed and humorous extravaganza.

Photo courtesy of "Deadpool" and Giphy.com.

Next on the slate for heroes on the big screen is "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice." The Caped Crusader and the Man of Steel will return to theaters on March 25. Each hero will battle it out after the events of "Man of Steel" but will have company. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Cyborg will all make appearances as well. Lex Luthor and Doomsday look to be the movie's villians. "Batman v. Superman" looks to be a great upcoming film.

Photo courtesy of "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" and Giphy.com.

On May 6, the long awaited "Captain America: Civil War" will hit theaters. The movie will pit Captain America and his supporters against Iron Man and his counterparts. Heroes like Black Widow, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Scarlett Witch, and more will be in the film. We will also be introduced to Black Panther and the new Spiderman. It's safe to say that this all-star lineup of heroes will give audiences and myself a great spectacle. I'm really looking forward to this movie.

Photo courtesy of Captain America: Civil War and Giphy.com.

Up next, we've got "X-Men: Apocalypse" on May 27. Lots of new faces will come to the X-Men franchise as younger versions of familiar heroes. One notable actress will be Sophie Turner, known for her acting in HBO's "Game of Thrones," who will be playing Jean Gray. The next piece of the "X-Men" saga is sure to be a good one.

Here's a link to the trailer:

After "X-Men," there's the much-anticipated movie of a band of the "worst of the worst" people who team up to save the world, Suicide Squad. Supervillains like The Joker, Dead Shot, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, and more all make appearances in what looks to be a grade-A film. Check out the awesome trailer below.

Also in the mix for a 2016 release date is "Gambit." Not much is known about this movie but Gambit is an "X-Men" character first seen in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." Fox, the movie's production company, hasn't pushed the date back yet but sources are saying that the movie is unlikely to release on time.

Last but not least, the awaited Doctor Strange movie is slated to release on Nov. 4 of this year. Benedict Cumberbatch will play Stephen Strange, the main character, who is a neurosurgeon turned magical superhero. Not many details of this film are known but keep an eye out for news as time goes by.

Photo courtesy of EW.com.

No matter if you're a fan of D.C. or Marvel, this year is sure to be a great year for superhero films.